Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiped Drive, Installed Xp Pro, And Now It Won't Boot Up.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

The system is a friends, a Presario SR1250NX, and she had it all screwed up: somehow had 3 different OS installed, hidden partitions, etc. I wiped the contents of a hidden partition with Acronis Disk Director, then merged everything to have just one "C" drive. Next I formatted it (NTFS) and installed XP Pro, and now it won't boot. After a Compaq splash screen, it comes up black with a blinking cursor and just sits there.

Only by going back in with Acronis, can I use an Explore function, which shows windows was installed. Without that software, you can't get anywhere, other than to BIOS settings.

I'm thinking it's missing some key drivers or something, as the version of Pro I installed is what's called "a streamlined Corporate Edition..." Note: I just did the same process, with the same software, on my Sony Laptop 2 wks ago and it went off without a hitch -- although I did have all my drivers backed up, ready to install.

So, what to do? Sugestions appreciated, and applause to the winner! LOL! Thanks - Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:13 PM

Can you get into Safe Mode? If not, I would try to reinstall again.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

Thanks, but I can't get it into safe mode, and assume it's the standard F8 key on boot that would get me there. Also, I've not only reinstalled the OS, I wiped the drive clean before doing that. I'm kinda stumped and didn't anticipate a time consuming process, as this has turned out to be. "No good deed goes unpunished." hahaha

During the install process, there's a chance to load (I think) RAID drivers or something - which I don't have anyway. Just wondering if I even got "a bag of drivers" for this model if they'd self install or I'd have to try and load them during yet another full install. Looked at Compaqs site late last night and it has a ton of crap, but not sure which, if any, would be the ones necessary to get this thing going.

Oh, on boot up if I hit ESC, I see it recognizes/auto detects the HD, two cd/DVDs, all USB mass storage devices, etc. and says they're configured properly. I know I can try another reinstall, but I'll bet I'm going to be right back to where I'm at. Any other suggestions?

This is me: :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:37 PM

You could run diagnostics on the memory and hard drive to rule out any hardware issues with those. You could also check for any loose connections and perhaps remove anything that is not essential for the computer to run (printers, extra DVD drives, USB drives, even the video card if the motherboard has on-board video).

Another thing you could do is to get hold of the Compaq restore disks for this make of system, which probably include all the drivers you need.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

I have a disc here called Hiren's (something or other) with a ton of tools, given to me by a firend who's a tech at a local shop. Several menus deep into this thing I just ran a utility that called SysChk: it says it can't find the IDE/SCSI drive, and can't find Windows! Under disk drives, it shows the Total Size and the Used (amount), and the two numbers are the same - which seems weird to me. It also shows Free, and says "0MB."

With all I have to do on my own stuff today, this situation needs to be rectified quickly or it's going on the back burner. No time to be tearing it apart, removing burners, etc. I have a couple other versions of XP Pro (dif from the streamlined version) and maybe I'll see if one of those takes. My Sony was a breeze compared to this nonsense, but that's Compaq for ya.

#6 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

Just formatted the drive again and reinstalled. Same situation, no difference.

Acronis shows the drive as A-ok, nearly empty except for all the OS files - which won't boot up.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

I'm not saying this will work, but it may be worth a try. Near the beginning of the XP install when you are prompted to press F6 to install third party drivers press F7 instead. You won't get any visual confirmation but this will complete the installation without Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI), which does cause problems with some BIOS versions.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

I've seen these problems a bit at work - and by far the easiest solution is to order the Restore disks from Compaq. Give them about $20 and 4 days and you'll have a seamless set of restore CD's in your hand that'll restore the system to it's original state (to include all the drivers).

If you want to keep on troubleshooting this system, the XP drivers for it are located here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...786&lang=en

The product specification here ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...786&lang=en ) indicate that you've got a SATA drive - so you'll likely have to add the SATA drivers when it asks you to press F6 to install RAID/SCSI drivers during the installation.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...228&lang=en

this will extract to a folder on your hard drive

all you need to do is put the txtset.oem and the windows xp folder on a floppy disk

boot to the xp cd, press f6 when asked?

delete any partition(s) and start fresh
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:28 PM

Wow, you guys are awesome. Lots of good suggestions!

After I get some food in me I'll lay out a battle plan, based on the above, and give it a go. The computer belongs to my Sales Assistant, so I was hoping to take it in to work tomorrow morning. About a month ago I redid her boy's laptop and they're still raving about how cool it is. haha! I was hoping for a repeat performance.

USAMA: She had XP Home before, which I guess is what the restore disks would be. I was trying to not only fix her numerous problems, but upgrade the OS at the same time. So, I may well try your other suggestions/links.

And now, back to the kitchen. =)

Thanks again!
Michael

#11 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:31 AM

I downloaded all the drivers on Compaq's site listed under Original Drivers, and put them on a disc. Started the installation again and after hitting F6, it told me to insert the Manufacturers disk in "drive A." Well, there is no drive A, no floppy on her system. Tried both CD devices and it wouldn't take.

Restarted and tried the suggestion of hitting F7 instead of F6, and it soon gave me a "bad_pool_header" error and stopped the installation to "avoid damage."

A few hours ago I installed an XP Home Edition I have here, thinking it may be more compatible with that system, as that's what it came with originally. Nada. still no workie. Right now I'm formatting the drive again (ugh), the long route, will put XP Pro back on and if it doesn't work, I'll have to talk w/ my local tech friend tomorrow.

When booting from the CD it shows it's loading all kinds of RAID controllers, RAID this n that, so at this point I'm at a loss. I just did two systems in the past few weeks - wiping hidden partitons with Acronis, reclaiming all the drive space, installing this Pro Corp Edition - and it worked like a breeze. Now that I think of it, one of the laptops was a Compaq, and everything loaded during the XP install was obviously sufficient. It was screaming when I gave it back to her.

Scratching my head... :thumbsup:

#12 Adam.H

Adam.H

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:55 AM

I used the the F7 trick after having the exact same problem with my Samsung NP-M50, at the time it appeared to do the trick (it allowed me to install windows) but now I'm not so sure it was a good idea.

Have a quick look at the thread I started about my 'phantom' drive, specifically post #15 and you'll see what I mean....

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

To load the SATA drivers you'll either have to use a USB floppy drive - or slipstream your drivers into your XP installation disk ( http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--S...XP-installation ) - there's no othe way to do it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

I would like to have a guide to using the usb option, was lazy(I guess) and never could get it to work?

AFAIK from other posts MS has not fixed the problem even with Vista, I guess they want everyone to go Linux or Apple.

Hell in a hand basket!
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#15 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:55 AM

Tried 100 things and said screw it. Got the restore disks from my friend today, all seven of them, and put this POS to bed. After getting her "beautiful HP/Compaq" to work, I was more convinced than ever that I'd never own one, never recco one...wouldn't even make a good boat anchor. After it finally installed all its proprietary BS, I went thru and cleaned it out big time, so adios to every manufacturer of the kind of crap you load on the unsuspecting public. If she wants the Corporate XP OS I have, I'll set it up to dual boot and she can pick the one she wants, while retaining driver/proprietary functionality.

Lucky for me, every system I've had for nearly 20 years was custom built from the ground up, meaning I picked every last component, and NO BS software entered into the equation. That's not to say I haven't seen this problem before now, as I've redone many systems for family, friends, and others. Yet HP/Compaq takes the cake for pure BS systems, IMHO.

On an aside, HP used to make killer printers - and I had MANY in my agency - but now they're nothing but a stock market driven source of INK revenue, since that's where the money is after the initial sale. I have a $500 model that is constantly wanting "a new cyan... a new magenta" and I hardly use the damn thing. It's got SIX dinky ink cartridges, which cost $60-80 to replace, while their little used ink vanishes faster than a fart in a tornado.

Fortunately for me, my experience with computers goes back to the Commodore Vic20 (early 1980s) and most everything in-between, and that is juxtapositioned against the reality of the need for corporations to "post profits/show growth." Sorry, HP, but I've traded stock for 20+ years, and see right through your crap. While I can assure you I wouldn't buy any computer system from you, Dell, Gateway, and the other shlumps, I was for years loyal to your printers. Ah, that would be, "Not again."

I was going to shut up and go to bed, but know this: I remember HP when they had just two ink cartridges, both easily refilled. While I went through a ton of ink with my Ad Agency, this wasn't a problem because HP was USER FRIENDLY at the time. And I'm not talking about just B&W refill, as I printed TONS of stuff in full color, including photos, GPX elements, etc. TRY AND DO THAT TODAY WITH THE BS SYSTEMS HP OFFERS NOW! GOOD LUCK!! HP went the way of Canon, as in a very expensive printer I purchased a few years ago, which I hated with a passion. Perenially "out of ink" -- one cartridge or another -- and after doing little to no real printing.

The salient point is, the former stalwarts are nothing but junk, laden with every bit of crap to generate REVENUE. Build your own computer, install your own software, and look at Kodak for excellent print quality with low cost to operate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users