Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Install Xp Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lunel_celt

lunel_celt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

Have a Dell Dimension 4600, Pentium 4, 2.8GHz, 256 mg ram, BIOS A10. Have tried 3 clean reinstalls of XP home sp1 (have sp2 but haven't installed yet). I wanted to change the partition size but I couldn't change the figure so I left it. Install seemed to be going ok each time but never asked for product key. XP seems to be installed but I cannot adjust monitor resolution from 640 x 480 (no other options). When I try to set up a manual internet connection it just jumps to finished, shut down & restart are available stand-by is not. I am using the XP disk that came with my computer which is a little over 3 years old.

Kate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:27 AM

I would suspect that you need to install all your hardware drivers.

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "! ", "?" or "X" symbols.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

The drivers that you need are available here Dimension 4600 drivers
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 lunel_celt

lunel_celt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

Cheers for that, looks like the problem.

Kate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users