Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD drive function affected by Spyware?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spddvm

spddvm

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:05 PM

I am inquiring about apparent failure of 2 CD drives on a Win 98SE machine that is infected with the Trojan IE hijacker called StartPage DU. Please see the ongoing discussion under the Hijack This Logs section of the Bleeping Computer site for more details about my travails in this regard. Last night, after I thought I had successfully removed the Trojan with advice from "Grinler" I put a CDRW into 1 of 2 CD drives to copy some of the utilities (e.g. Hijack This, etc) I'd been using to work on the computer. The drive wouldn't read the CDRW. The second drive wouldn't either and both drives were shown as "not accessible" in Windows. Next I put a commercial music CD in one of the drives, first MMJB came up as usual and then up came McAfee Antivirus indicating files associated with StartPageDU were present (e.g. SE-DLL, bubblss.bmp) but it couldn't remove them. Utility scans showed changes in the registry again. Also the music CD had no sound. Same with the second CD drive. I deleted the offending spyware files in safe mode and then CD drive 1 would play the music CD with sound but CD drive 2 still didn't work. Neither drive would read the CDRW I wanted to use to copy files to. If anyone has any advice about how StartPageDU is getting back on my computer and interfering with the function of the CD drives, I'd appreciate it. How does one run diagnostics on CD drives?
SPDDVM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toastrack

toastrack

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:51 PM

Have you downloaded and Installed both Adaware SE and Spybot Search and Destroy? (Both of which are free) There is a function on SPybot which blocks downloads of certain Spyware before it can get onto the machine.
It sounds like you have experienced a LOT of registry changing recently, which is never good, also, there may be corrupted or missing drivers etc by now.
It might be an idea to use a system restore disk if you have one to repair the Win98 install.
I dont know if Win98se install disks offer the option to "repair" an installation rather than re-installing right over the top but if it does it might be worth a shot if there are a lot of issues that seem to get worse every time you boot up.
Backing your stuff up and going for a full re-format, fresh install is always my favourite.

#3 spddvm

spddvm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes I run Spybot Search/Destroy and use their "immunize" function. I think StarPageDU got on my machine because I hadn't checked for updates in a while and it snuck in before I updated Spybot. Haven't used AdAware but was considering Webroot Spysweeper on the recommendation of Walter Mossberg's April 2004 column on Spyware in the WSJ.

I'm hoping to avoid a full reformat!

SPDDVM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users