Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is 'programchecker' Any Good?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Julian Ooi

Julian Ooi

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:13 AM

I recently stumbled across the website for ProgramChecker with the application ProgramChecker Personal Edition being offered to download for free. It says it:

-Validates and authenticates your running programs
-FilePrint Technology ensures ProgramChecker cannot be spoofed by Trojans
-Research your running programs
-Easily compare snapshots in time to see what is/was running on your computer.

It sounds a bit like Security Task Manager and I wondered if it was any good as ProgramChecker is free but Security Task Manager is not.

Edited by Julian Ooi, 13 January 2008 - 09:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

Although I have no info about how well the program works, here's a Secunia vulnerability report on ProgramChecker (there's more info at the link):

Most Critical Unpatched
The most severe unpatched Secunia advisory affecting Zenturi ProgramChecker 1.x, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Highly critical

#3 Julian Ooi

Julian Ooi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info, however I am not sure what the vulnerability report means or signifies. I have never seen this before.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

That's a reference to how secure the program is. That is, is it vulnerable to attacks by worms, trojans, viruses, etc.? According to Secunia, it is highly vulnerable.
Hope this helps.

#5 Julian Ooi

Julian Ooi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

Does that mean that it is no good at checking your PC for bad processes or programs?

Or does it mean that ProgramChecker is a fake program used by hackers or is actually spyware?

Or does it mean that if you have it installed you are more likely to get spyware on your PC or be hacked?

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

Good questions. :thumbsup: It's this one. But we're also talking about viruses and other malware, which can actually do your computer a great deal more harm than spyware usually does.

Or does it mean that if you have it installed you are more likely to get spyware on your PC or be hacked?

#7 Julian Ooi

Julian Ooi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:14 PM

How does it make it more easy to get viruses and malware or be hacked?

#8 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

Sorry, I don't know the ins and outs of programming. But generally speaking, people who write malware are very good programmers, and they find "holes" in programming code that they can use to alter applications and files and settings on computers.

If the issue of computer security is somewhat new to you, I strongly recommend that you read through most of the pinned topics in the AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum.

The board also has an excellent glossary that will help you find definitions of computer-related terminology. Just click on the Glossary tab that's at the top of almost every page.

#9 Julian Ooi

Julian Ooi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

OK, thanks for the info and many thanks for your help!

#10 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:32 PM

You're most welcome. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users