Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8800gt Not Working With Vista

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Smergle

Smergle

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:40 AM

So I have had my computer for like 3 weeks, and it was working fine. Then all of a sudden while installing world of warcraft it froze completely. And since then whenever I turn it on my monitor doesnt come on. I put my friends video card in which is like a 7800 or something. And it works fine. So I reformatted reinstalled my drivers and tried again still wouldnt work. So I reformatted it again. And now it wont even let me install my drivers cause I put my old video card in it which is an ATI video card. So when I try it tells me the drivers aren't compatible with my hardware. Does anyone have any idea what I should do to fix this? please please help

Oh i have windows vista, and the video card works in other computers. Just not my new one.

Edited by Smergle, 13 January 2008 - 06:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smergle

Smergle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

Bump?

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

no safe mode?

no post screen?

sure your power supply is strong enough?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

Go to the ATI website and download the Catalyst Uninstaller for your ATI card.
Run the uninstaller and shut down.
Replace the ATI card with the nVidia card
Boot the system (do not let the system install new video drivers).
Download and install the appropriate drivers for your video card:
- 32 bit Windows Vista: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_169.25_whql.html
- 64 bit Windows Vista: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_169.25_whql.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Smergle

Smergle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:33 PM

Yeah my power supply is strong enough, but it doesn't post and it won't let me do anything. I can hear the windows noises though. Gonna try your driver thing. Hopefully it works.

#6 Smergle

Smergle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Go to the ATI website and download the Catalyst Uninstaller for your ATI card.
Run the uninstaller and shut down.
Replace the ATI card with the nVidia card
Boot the system (do not let the system install new video drivers).
Download and install the appropriate drivers for your video card:
- 32 bit Windows Vista: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_169.25_whql.html
- 64 bit Windows Vista: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_169.25_whql.html

I downloaded the Catalyst Uninstaller, ran it. Told me to restart did so. Then just turned my computer off afterward. Put the nvidia bleep in there. Didnt even post again.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16883229012
That is my computer exactly. Bought it from newegg. I have no idea what to do anymore.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:03 PM

Well, we can continue to mess with it - but it's looking more and more like a hardware problem. Is the system still under warranty? If so, you may want to return it for service or exchange.

Does the ATI video card go into the same slot as the nVidia card? How about your friend's card?
Do you have the additional power plug plugged into the nVidia card?

Everything indicates that the card is bad in your system (although it works in other systems - which is a puzzler). Could also be one bad pin in the slot on the motherboard - but it'd have to be a pin that the nVidia uses and your friends card and the ATI don't.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Smergle

Smergle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

Yeah all into the same slot. Power plug plugged in. Still under warranty I just wanted to see if I could fix it and not be without a computer for like 2 weeks. The weird thing is now that I used that catalyst thing. It no longer tells me my hardware is not right when I install the Nvidia graphics drivers. It tells me windows is not in 32 bit when it is. It says that in the my computer properties.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Is it possible that, at some point, you may have installed 64 bit drivers instead of 32 bit drivers? This could account for the confusion and may also be why you cannot reinstall the video drivers (which would likely mean that you'd have to format and reinstall Vista again).

#10 Smergle

Smergle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

Well I dont think so. Cause I have formatted like 4 times and each time it usually tells me that 32 bit thing. And not the hardware one. But I can format again. Maybe the company made the computer come with the 64 bit drivers? I dont know. Cause all I have is the recovery disk. Restore it to factory defaults.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

I dunno - this is a weird problem and the usual troubleshooting steps aren't working here.

Maybe you can contact them here: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
to see if others have encountered this same problem.

#12 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:43 AM

i'd contact manufacturer of your PC.

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:56 AM

you are not alone?

Pros: Started out pretty darn good. Pretty much just plug in monitor and go, however I got a little nervous when the quick set-up guide wasnt in English. Able to play games at just about max settings which is nice. Things went well for the first month then....

Cons: I started developing problems. I noticed quite a few errors that were created at set-up related to the 8800. 8800gt drivers were never installed correctly because of a compatability issue. My monitor turns off 50% of the time at start-up and I am forced to hard restart. I can only use my monitor in analog because the drivers are jacked up. After a lot of forum reading, I've noticed that this is a trend dating way back with nvidia and vista. Any other compatable driver that I try and download says that I am not using windows vista 32 as an error. I'm pretty upset that they would send out the comp with the drivers not working or compatability issues. BTW the card's install cd even comes up with crazy errors.

Other Thoughts: Am working with tech support and have been able to talk live which is a plus. They are sending me a new 8800gt and I'm crossing my fingers, but am not optomistic. Sorry to be a downer because the parts are great as well as the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...oOnlyMark=False
Chewy

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...+GeForce+8800GT

coolmaster power supplies are not really a premium product, for that computer they might not even be up to handling everything properly

I have had to replace my coolmasters and use them in lamer older computers, they must really exaggerate the wattage and amperage
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users