Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Disabled

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 weezecat

weezecat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:22 AM

I have been struggling with Windows XP Home edition System Restore being disabled from creating System Checkpoints automatically. The error message in the Event Viewer is "The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC000000D' while processing the file 'extensions.ini' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume." It appears that either Thunderbird's or Firefox's extensions.ini file in the profiles directory is the cause of this behaviour, and turning off and turning System Restore back on does not restore the creation of these automatic check points. I can however create restore points manually.

I have deleted the files extensions.ini, extensions.cache and extensions.rdf in the profiles directory of both Thunderbird and Firefox and allowed them to be re-created but the problem has not gone away. When the System Restore gets disabled then all of my System Checkpoints are deleted so there is nothing to fall back on if an error should occur and I need to restore an earlier configuation.

Microsoft's has a Hotfix for this particular error message which I downloaded and installed, but it doesn't help and System Restore is still not creating automatic System Checkpoints. I have now resorted to using a visual basic script file run by the task scheduler to create a daily automatic restore point.

I did wonder whether it was the last Thunderbird extension - Thunderbrowse - that I installed that caused the problem, so I uninstalled it. Since then I get System Checkpoints created when installing programs and Microsoft updates but System Restore still fails to create any automatic System Checkpoints apart from the ones that I create through the vbs file. If I re-install Thunderbrowse though, then I get the same Event Viewer "sr" error when a checkpoint is created and all my System Restore points are deleted and I am told that System Restore has been disabled.

Please has anybody got a clue to sorting this one out apart from not using the Thunderbrowse extension for Thunderbird?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:18 AM

Hello

If you go to start->run->services.msc Scroll down the list can you see system restore is it started and set to automatic? also if you right click on my computer, under system restore is it monitoring the hard drive.

You may want to use the windows file checker, start->run sfc /scannow
Regards,

Alan.

#3 weezecat

weezecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hello Alan,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I had already done those things you mention and the SR service is running and set to automatic. I ran sfc as /scanonce because when I tried the /scannow switch, the system almost immediately rebooted. After using the /scanonce switch there were no problems apparent when the system files were checked and the system rebooted.

I have tried turning off SR, rebooting and turning SR back on as recommended, but this still does not produce automatic System Checkpoints. All it does is kill all the previous checkpoints that were created.

Regards,
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users