Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does One Bad Action Take Away All The Good A Person Has Done?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Does one bad action take away all the good a person has done? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Does one bad action take away all the good a person has done?

1. Yes (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

2. No (18 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

3. I Don't Know (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OmegamB

OmegamB

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:43 AM

Take, for example, the case of professional wrestler Chris Benoit. Over the course of three days in June 2007, he killed his wife, son, and finally himself, it what has been described roid rage from use of steroids.

Before this tragedy took place, Chris was an idol to many people, including his peers and fans. He has influenced people to join the industry of professional wrestling, some of which are now stars. I feel these things from the past should not be forgotten. Yes, he did do one of the most evil things I have ever heard of, but the good he has done should not be forgotten because of these acts. He should not be judged for the things he did during the last days of his life.

So, do you think that one bad action can erase all good things done by a person? Feel free to bring up other examples then the one I have.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

Erase to whom?
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

I don't know, but my boss at work tells us slaves that were only as good as our last mistake. :thumbsup:
X

#4 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

If we're talking sports, I don't think that being caught taking steroids, for instance, takes away 'all' the good the participant may have done earlier - although it's darn rotten of them to have cheated and quite rightly they loose all the respect that they'd once earned.

But to do what this dreadful Chris Benoit did - truly dispicable and re" He should not be judged for the things he did during the last days of his life", I'm afraid I truly do "judge him for what he's done". No one forced him to take the steroids, no one forced him to murder innocents. We must all take responsiblilty for our own actions?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

Well, reverse the question somewhat:

Do any good actions a person has done erase something evil that person has done?

In the case of Benoit, the use of steriods may have enabled him to do good things, but it ultimately was his downfall.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 lnddavis

lnddavis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

you'd have to define what's "good" or "bad", although with such relativistic terms you'll always disagree with others. Without judgement you have chaos. So somebody has to make that determination. We can make those judgements ourselves, and should, but ultimately everyone has to face the judgement of God who has determined what is good and bad with creation.

#7 oldhippie

oldhippie

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:31 AM

Consider that any one you will ever meet has at one time made a mistake.
If you exceed the legal speed limit you have committed a crime, therefore are you a criminal?
I have never met a parent who has not told a lie to their child! (Is it OK to lie to some one who is under your authority?)(yes this includes Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny).
Every one deserves a second chance!

ultimately everyone has to face the judgment of God who has determined what is good and bad with creation.

With this goes only GOD is worthy to sit in judgment.

Edited by oldhippie, 16 January 2008 - 07:33 AM.

The hippiefreakcomputergeek
William Johnson MCDST
The purple letters are links to click on

#8 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:50 PM

Re: "Consider that any one you will ever meet has at one time made a mistake".

Yes, eveyone does make mistakes.

To take a steroid in order to cheat at a sport is a 'mistake' (not the taking it, that wasn't a mistaken dose thinking is was aspirin, but deciding to take it a mistake in judgment).
To take one's own life is often a 'mistake'.
To take innocent people's lives - not a 'mistake' unless it was a true 'accident'.
To murder one's own family - not a 'mistake' .
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#9 Spidey5005

Spidey5005

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

I believe that would depend on the action. I wasn't able to vote because the question is too open. Perhaps if you were to define "Bad Action" and what you consider "Good Person" is.

If you stole a candy bar from the store, in my eyes you could be forgiven and it would not take away from your character.

If you killed a baby ... in my eyes you were never a good person, so there wouldn't be anything to take away.

#10 oldhippie

oldhippie

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

I thought that we where talking about mistakes, Murder is not a mistake! Poor judgment is not covered when you violate some one Else's rights.
Basically your rights end where my rights begin.
An example, I smoke cigarettes. I have a right to do so. I do not have a right to blow my smoke at any one! You have a right to not breath my smoke.
You do not have the right to tell me I can not smoke in my home............................
The hippiefreakcomputergeek
William Johnson MCDST
The purple letters are links to click on

#11 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

:thumbsup: Yup, I do agree.

#12 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:18 AM

What people have done in the past is only something that most likely shows their current character. Sometimes, their character changes, so I suppose you could say that all past good deeds are erased anyways.

Anyways, you'd have to be basing this off of some sort of defined religion to really be getting answers.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#13 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

??who are WE to judge ANYONE?

judge and you will be judged

get your own 'house' in order first before you look at or seek to critisise or judge anyone else;

#14 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:43 PM

??who are WE to judge ANYONE?

judge and you will be judged

get your own 'house' in order first before you look at or seek to critisise or judge anyone else;

Yes and No.
This is the way I look at this.
Even if your own House is in order,still doesn't give you the right to critisise anyone,except:
If someone does something wrong to you personally,then you have every right to Judge them.
Somebody does something wrong, that has no effect on you whatsoever,then you have no right to Judge.

#15 Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:25 AM

What good a person has done will always stay with him/her, what bad a person has done will also stay with him/her.

Humans are double-sided, we can turn good or bad, it all depends on what we choose to be and the environment (influence) we live in.

Sometimes it's not really up to us to decide on who we are, we may be forced into becoming someone we don't want to be, and we can be forced to do bad things that we don't want to do. Reality is harsh, we should not forget the good of others, no matter what they turn out to be eventually.

Just my two cents.

Bleepingcomputer Malware Response Team

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please do NOT PM anyone with HJT logs, read this and post your logs here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users