Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgraded, Need Drivers

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Aesir09

Aesir09

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:50 AM

hi i downgraded from vista to professional today, and winxp does not recognize alot of my hardware

i have a Ethernet controller with no drivers and a realtek rtl8187b with no drivers, i need them to start moving, please help and siggest anything, thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aesir09

Aesir09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:04 AM

MY DEVICE MANAGER

Posted Image

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:53 AM

Right click on the devices with the ? and select Properties, then click on the Details tab, then on Hardware ID in the drop-down box.You should see a hardware ID that looks like this: "PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_40090070&REV_01"

The 4 characters after the first _ are the Vendor ID and the 4 characters after the second _ are the Device ID. Go to this website ( http://www.pcidatabase.com/ ) and enter the Vendor ID and the Device ID and it will tell you what the device is. Then you can do an internet search for the drivers you need.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:27 AM

Right click on the devices with the ? and select Properties, then click on the Details tab, then on Hardware ID in the drop-down box.You should see a hardware ID that looks like this: "PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_40090070&REV_01"

The 4 characters after the first _ are the Vendor ID and the 4 characters after the second _ are the Device ID. Go to this website ( http://www.pcidatabase.com/ ) and enter the Vendor ID and the Device ID and it will tell you what the device is. Then you can do an internet search for the drivers you need.

Why am I just now learning this? Budapest, ol' buddy, you get the golden cookie!

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:32 AM

Actually, I just recently found out about this from one of usasma's posts - so I guess I better pass on the golden cookie to him.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:12 AM

Thanks Budapest! :thumbsup:

What's the make and model of the system (or the motherboard if it's a custom build)?
That'll usually take care of most of the drivers like the Base System Device, the SM Bus Controller, and some of the PCI devices.

Here's a link for a driver for the wireless card: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-C...2007-WHQL.shtml
It's an older driver but should still work (the Realtek site appears to be having issues right now).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Aesir09

Aesir09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:10 PM

ok i will try these thx :thumbsup:

and also, should winblows update just detect all my other stuff?

#8 Aesir09

Aesir09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

ok i installed the setup and it still has the same things in the device manager, and when i try .inf files it doesn't work

maybe if i can get my ethernet controller working this will be easier

here are the hardware id's under the details tab(!FOR ETHERNET CONTROLLER!)
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_01
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_FF101179
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&CC_0200

Edited by Aesir09, 13 January 2008 - 12:34 PM.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:47 PM

According to the PCI Database, that is a RTL 8139 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet NIC. You can download the driver from here.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

Cool item usasma! :thumbsup:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#11 Aesir09

Aesir09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

thanks for the links even though realtek is having problems with their site.

i got sound working so far, ugh

ive tried like so many things for my w_lan and ethernet controller!

the one thing i installed labeled REALTEK USB Wireless LAN utility and in the bottom right hand corner of the taskbar i mouse over and it reads

"No RTL8187"

im going to uninstall that

is there any support from toshiba i can get? like did my notebook come with a disk(prob not for xp b/c it came with vista)

i checked toshiba.com for a universal toshiba a120 xp driver thingee and couldn't find anything

although im feeling lucky guys thx for the help, please keep helping :thumbsup:

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

There are some drivers on the Toshiba website here.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 Aesir09

Aesir09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:05 PM

thx for the link :thumbsup: gonna try some stuff out

#14 Aesir09

Aesir09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

i dont know how to install drivers using a .inf file, i just get and error

and also, while we are solving this, i installed .net framework 2.0

my monitor is made for 1280x800 and im viewing it in 1024x768, dont look too good.

i tried this one catalyst thing, then got message saying that its not compatible with my hardware lol....

i think im going to say f winblows im going to Linux, like the good old days

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

How to update a Windows hardware driver

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users