Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Banners And Advertisments

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

i recently remove NIS. :thumbsup:

now i see banners and ads where i only saw the word "Advertisment", not unexpected. is there a free app to block these?

igo
Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:01 AM

There sure is.
If you using Firefox get Adblock I use this when I use firefox and its perfect

Im having a hard time finding a free one for IE
But ill post back when I do :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

I'm not personally a fan of toolbars, but I knew someone who successfully used the Google toolbar to block ads.

BTW, now that you've removed NIS, what AV software are you using?

ETA: TZ, according to the BC forum rules, your sig image is way too big:

Images in signatures must also be no larger than 500 pixels wide X 90 pixels high. If you have more than one image you will be requested to remove one. If this is not done in a timely manner the staff has the right to modify your signature to abide by these rules.

Edited by Dialer, 13 January 2008 - 12:41 PM.

#4 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

thnx all i use IE, ZA, AVG, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and my dl time and surf time on dsl changed from dial speed to where it should be.

been looking at maj geeks and the download center. suppose the banners are a small price to pay.

excuse my lack of knoweldge re- sigs, but if i look at properties on the sig it shows 83x83. been here since 05 and had the sig for most of the time. is that not how its guaged? your a senior member and have way more expirience than i on this sight. lemme know if im in error there ill change it.
ty igo

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

Hi Igo,

That reference to sigs was for Teenage.Zombiee's big pink box. The signature is what we see at the bottom of a post, whereas the 83 x 83 is a reference to avatars, the images on the left side of the page, directly under our usernames. :thumbsup:

Are you sure there's no setting in AVG to block ads? I've never used that AV, so I couldn't say.

#6 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:04 PM

if it wasnt a free version, maybe

ty TZ. sorry Dailer, i do know the difernce between the two, ty. only one cup of "joe" this morning :thumbsup: . my first clue should have been

ETA: TZ,

respectfully
igo

Edited by igonuts2, 13 January 2008 - 07:09 PM.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

try the Hosts text file to virtually eliminate ads

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

follow the installation instructions for your version of windows; then reboot and find a site you would NORMALLY see ads on and literally see the difference;
also need a regular update too
also; I must admit I thought your signature was a screen shot of a problem you are having ;. it does seem a wee bit too big and distracting

if you see ads and pop ups when you HAVE Hosts on board it is a sure sign you are infected as you should see virtually NONE

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

Hi Igo,

That reference to sigs was for Teenage.Zombiee's big pink box. The signature is what we see at the bottom of a post, whereas the 83 x 83 is a reference to avatars, the images on the left side of the page, directly under our usernames. :thumbsup:

Are you sure there's no setting in AVG to block ads? I've never used that AV, so I couldn't say.

none that I have met yet ...sorry :flowers:

#9 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:34 AM

think im sol.

try the Hosts text file to virtually eliminate ads

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

follow the installation instructions for your version of windows; then reboot and find a site you would NORMALLY see ads on and literally see the difference;
also need a regular update too
also; I must admit I thought your signature was a screen shot of a problem you are having ;. it does seem a wee bit too big and distracting

if you see ads and pop ups when you HAVE Hosts on board it is a sure sign you are infected as you should see virtually NONE

interesting!!!

her comes my lack of pc knowledge. spybot w/ it's locking of host file and tea time or resident (one or the other) doesnt that in effect do the same thing?

seems like ads are counter productive. they want to sell but just being an ad makes you look the other way.

ty
igo

Edited by igonuts2, 14 January 2008 - 01:52 AM.

#10 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:49 AM

I'm not personally a fan of toolbars, but I knew someone who successfully used the Google toolbar to block ads.

BTW, now that you've removed NIS, what AV software are you using?

ETA: TZ, according to the BC forum rules, your sig image is way too big:

Images in signatures must also be no larger than 500 pixels wide X 90 pixels high. If you have more than one image you will be requested to remove one. If this is not done in a timely manner the staff has the right to modify your signature to abide by these rules.

Thanks for the heads up Dialer :flowers:
Ill try and find a chart that will fit with the requirments :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#11 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

her comes my lack of pc knowledge. spybot w/ it's locking of host file and tea time or resident (one or the other) doesnt that in effect do the same thing?

Locking the host file only prevents it from being hacked. Using that and SpyBot/Teatime are effective only if you keep them up to date. Even then, advertisers constantly come up with new domains and IPs for their ads. If you know an address, you can actually edit the host file (it's a text file) to include it. The only problem with doing that is that if you update it automatically, anything you include will be overwritten. So you might want to keep a separate list of the domains you want to add each time you update. Or, there are other utilities you can use to permanently block a domain for accessing your computer. I'm trying to remember which one I use :thumbsup: and will post it when I find it.

#12 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

ty dialer,

i can't install anything to test right now due to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/125537/unknown-service/.

but i read the info at the site. when i figure out my other issues i'll give it a try.

igo

#13 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

Yep, you're right not to change anything on your computer until your other problems are resolved. But there's certainly no harm in doing some research in the meantime.

As for me, I've wandered through all my utilities and can't for the life of me find the one I thought I was looking for that allows me to block a domain. It seems I did that through my firewall, which is McAfee. Sorry!

Good luck with your cleanup. :thumbsup:

#14 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:42 PM

As for me, I've wandered through all my utilities and can't for the life of me find the one I thought I was looking for that allows me to block a domain. It seems I did that through my firewall, which is McAfee. Sorry!

same w*igonuts2 and norton.

probaly done here but i'll stay suscribed just in case.

ty sir,

igo

something is wierd or maybe me. i type in this http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/llunasea/untitledbc.jpg

but you see what gets posted? hard to see but the red highlights above. i didn.t do that. can't undo it.

Edited by igonuts2, 14 January 2008 - 06:26 PM.

#15 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

I'm not sure I understand what it is that you're having trouble seeing.

Are you looking at the image full-size? On Vista, I get a little magnifying glass instead of a pointer when I move my mouse over the image. When I click, using that magnifying glass cursor, the image then opens up full size. If I recall correctly, XP includes an icon below and to the right of the image that you click on to enlarge it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users