Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Rest Issue With Linksys Wireless-b Router

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

My router (LINKSYS BEFW11S4) recently stopped broadcasting and so I ended up having to reset it. My laptop can now again detect the "linksys" signal and it works fine. However, I want to secure it again like I had it before. I can access the setup screen (http://192.168.1.1) by using the default "admin" password. The problem is, whenever I try to save changes, it prompts me for a user name and password; It will not accept "admin" at all...the screen goes red. I tried to start on the setup screen by changing the password but when I try to save that, it prompts me for a user name and password; Of course, "admin" does not work. I also tried using the set up cd several times to configure a new ntwk name and password but that too fails. Does anyone know the trick here? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

Unplug it and your modem
Push the reset button on the back with an ink pen or paperclip and count to 30 slowly
That should reset it back to the factory default
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

Yeah, I should have mentioned I've reset it many times. The thing is, when I try to save a change on the setup screen, I'm prompted with a popup box demanding a user name and password. Leaving user name blank and using "admin" does not work. After 3 tries the screen goes red and says 401 Authorization Required. Not sure what's going on.

#4 ReallyNeatGirl

ReallyNeatGirl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:42 AM

Try the password that you set yourself before you reset it, just in case.

#5 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm really at a loss at this point. I've tried the reset more times than I can count. I've turned off firewalls, cleared cache, etc. and still when I try and save a setting I'm prompted with a username/password box and I can't get "admin" to work.

From exploring other forums, I've seen this problem a couple more times and the above seems to be the general solution. Reset router, clear cache, turn off firewalls, power cycle router, modem etc. If that fails, try from another computer. Still, when I try to save a change I get this pop up for a username/password that I can't get past.

I've called Linksys and the lady I talked to there couldn't seem to help either. It was very hard even conceptually of getting her to understand this basic problem.

I feel like maybe there is still something (I don't know what) that my computer is retaining that is causing this to happen....something slightly beyond the cookie clearing and firewall disabling.

Anyone have any more suggestions?

#6 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

you are using admin admin or admin password for the username/password right?

as in when u first go to http://192.168.1.1???

goodluck
=)

#7 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

The instructions I have read for a router reset say to leave username blank and type "admin" for the password. Should I be doing it differently?

#8 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

when you type http://192.168.1.1 , you should be displayed with a username & pwd box

is this what you are talking about? and are you talking about a soft/hard reset, or a firmware reset?
=)

#9 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

I'm talking about the username and pswd box that is displayed when you log onto http://192.168.1.1. When you go to the setup pg initially the box appears. I can leave the username blank and type "admin" and access the setup screen without a problem. HOWEVER, when you make changes and try to save them (such as SSID change for example) I am again prompted with the same username/pswd box. At this point when I try to type "admin" again as before it never works.

I have tried reseting the router... I have tried reseting to default settings from the setup screen (this feature doesn't display the username/pswd box)...I have tried removing firewalls & clearing the cache & reseting again; I have tried power cycling the router and the modem; I've tried using the set up cd for the Linksys router; I've tried all combinations of these things and in different sequences. I've been on the phone with Linksys; Still no luck

I'm betting the solution is simple if I just knew what it was.

#10 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:50 PM

ok sorry for my misunderstanding/ignorance...

well it seems you have tried alot of troubleshooting steps, what did linksys on the phone tell you? maybe you will have to send it back to them...sorry i cannot be of more help :thumbsup:

goodluck
=)

#11 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

Oh, no worries. I appreciate the help. Something will click in my brain eventually and I'll figure this out.

#12 icedcaramel

icedcaramel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:15 AM

Have you come across a solution to your problem? I seem to be encountering the exact same problem. I too have tried all the other solutions and nothing works, I can't get pass that second username/password promt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#13 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

Nope, I'm running unsecure.

#14 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:02 PM

Have you checked if new firmware is available for your router? It could be that you are using older firmware that has a bug in it.

The following is the description of firmware changes for one version of the BEFW11S4 Router. Item 3 in one of the lists says "Fixed password change without authentication."; there are also other password-related changes:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?b...d=6838078881B41

Go to the following Linksys page (I think the link will work, but I'm not sure) and select the proper router version (1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.2 or 4.0) from the list to find the download for the most recent firmware version for that particular BEFW11S4 router:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...aypage=download

In the line containing the link for the firmware download, there should also be a link (Version Info) for the description of changes and bug fixes in that firmware.

#15 icedcaramel

icedcaramel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:06 AM

It's been awhile since my last post but I found a solution to secure my Linksys Wireless-B Router BEFW11S4. First power down all devices (laptop, modem, and Router), then connect an ethernet cable to the modem's ethernet port, then to the Linksys ethernet port. Using another ethernet cable, connect to #1 on the routers ethernet port, then connect the other end directly to the back of your laptop, now power up all devices. You should now have internet connection. Reset your Router to factory default. Go to Linksys website at www.linksys.com (if you haven't done so yet make sure you download the latest firmware), under the "Support" tab click on "Technical Support", click "Choose A Product", at the far left column under "Search Model" enter model number "BEFW11S4", click go or choose from "Select Product Category". In the "Support Tools" box, click on "EasyLink Home Networking Tools", click "EasyLink Connect", you can save to Program Files for future use. This program will now allow you to change your SSID, assign a new Encryption Key, Turn On Wireless Security, and Security Mode. For this model (BEFW11S4) only WEP security mode allowed, since it is an older model WPA mode is not allowed. Your router should now be secured and you can now remove the ethernet cable directly connecting your router and computer, it is no longer needed but make sure your Notebook Adapter is connected to your computer. However, although router is secured I was still unable to change the default Router Administrator Username and Password, when I key in the web browser "http://192.168.1.1/", enter "admin" as password it will get me to the main Setup page but applying changes continue to prompt Username and Password box. Hope this helps many of you who are looking for a solution to this problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users