Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Keeps Restarting. Uhoh

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 yekimyarg

yekimyarg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Alright, i have been surfing forums all day looking for somone that has had a similar problem with their computer, and all forums seem not to be able to help the victim except this one. Bleepingcomputer had the only successful repair of this problem i have seen after a long session of looking around so i have come to you seeking help. My dad is really horrible with computers and it seems that he has got his computer infected pretty badly.

I started with some virus scanning and spyware scanning- adaware 7, spybot S&D, Norton antivirus (seems to be corrupted since the explorer.exe problem), AVG, and Trend online scan... found lots of random spyware and a few major trojans... fixed them or at least i thought i did. , also did the the run command sfc /whatever (sorr i forgot the name) but the one that repairs all the system files and whatnot, no help.

When i boot the computer, explorer starts up fine, but after about 10 seconds it just goes blank except for the background and then comes up again 4 seconds later, and this loops and loops until finally explorer.exe just shuts off. I am lucky enough to be able to access programs and so forth with ctrl-alt-delete newtask> etc. etc, but i cant freely surf through my computer or use run without having 10 seconds to click buttons really fast... and safe mode shares the same problem. Some exe called imapi.exe shares the same restart shutdown pattern as explorer.exe... maybe somthing important? well just ask me for what i need to post to conquer this beast of a problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:45 AM

I would try a repair install.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:01 AM

I've seen this sort of behavior with 2 virus infections over the last couple of months at work. When the virus is removed, the restarts seem to go away (but we didn't identify what virus it was) - so I'd suspect that you're still infected. If it was a problem with explorer.exe, the SFC.EXE scan would have fixed it.

Since you've take all of the proper steps to rid yourself of the virus - I'd have to suggest reading the pinned topics on this forum ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ ) and then posting a HiJackThis log there for the experts to have a look at.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:51 AM

FWIW: Just a reminder to all who attempt to purge their systems of infections/malware.

If you are running System Restore (at the time of the attempted purge), there is a chance that the malware remains on your system...waiting to become active again.

Some suggest turning off SR (temporarily) to remove such possibilities (when attempting purge).

Louis

#5 yekimyarg

yekimyarg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

alright thanks ima go post a hijackthis on the other thread

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hi yekimyarg,

Now that you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users