Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What The Heck Is Wrong ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 donnyboy204b

donnyboy204b

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

Hi,
I'm a brand new member and I need some brand new help !
I have an IBM R40 remanufactured laptop computer. When I got it it had Windows 2000 installed. For some reason I had to do a new reinstall but I only have CD for Windows XP Pro so I installed XP Pro.
I also have a Dell Dimension 4550 PC also running XP Pro. I have had both these computers connected to the internet and also networked with each other before.
My problem is: I recently connected my laptop again and I've been trying for over a week to get a network set up again with no success. I talked with a Comcast technician for an hour and we still couldn't get a connection with my laptop. Everything is fine with my PC but it's my laptop that's causing the problem. I just purchased a new wireless modem and I already have 4 wireless cards and no matter what I try nothing works. I can't even get my laptop connected to the internet.
When I search my 'hardware' all my entries that have to do with networking controllers, PCI modem, Ethernet Controller, etc. are marked with a big yellow questionmark; however, My wireless-G notebook adapter isn't yellow checked and it is working properly but I still can't connect to the internet.
I've tried everything but I can't get an internet connection even through my direct ethernet connector.
Is it time to forget networking and take up golf ? Please someone, HELP !
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

Hello and welcome.

In device manager, double click on the entries with the exclamation mark on them, go to drivers and click update driver, tell it to search automatically. once this has completed, reboot the system. Are you able to connect then?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:57 PM

make sure you install the drivers for the wireless card _*before*_ plugging the thing in to your desktop box.

that is extremely important.

EDIT: have you configured the wireless modem? is it a wireless modem/router? or just modem? if a modem, does it support NAT??

goodluck

Edited by 4ward_tristan, 13 January 2008 - 11:59 PM.

=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users