Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Not Reconized

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 motherandwife3

motherandwife3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

hello every one this is my first post and it's a big problem for me. We have a western digital element external hard drive and the computer won't reconize it as a hard drive. My computer sees it as hardware but not a hard drive. It started like this my husband was downloading something and got a virus on his computer and the hard drive is hooked up via usb to it we are running windows xp prof. the virus protection we have failed so he tried to repair windows with the installation disk we have but he failed to remove the external hard drive. now we can't get any information off of it because it is not reconized as a hard drive. is there any way to fix it so i can get all the information off the hard drive. i need the information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 motherandwife3

motherandwife3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

please someone help me :thumbsup:

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

Have you tried to hook it up to another computer to see if it's recognized there? That'll tell you if it's the drive or the computer that's the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 motherandwife3

motherandwife3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

yes we have tried that and it still can't be seen

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:23 AM

Since it's not detected as a drive on another computer - either the circuitry in the external drive housing is damaged or the hard drive is damaged/formatted.

Try checking for the drive in Disk Management to see what it says there (go to Start...Run...and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Let us know what it says and we can work from there.

If the drive is damaged/formated and the data is still recoverable, it's essential that you don't use the drive any more than is absolutely essential. Any use of the drive by Windows could overwrite the very files that you're trying to save. But you'll have to use it a bit in order to check it - so you'll have to take that risk.

If the data is too valuable for this, I'd suggest taking it to a shop that specializes in data recovery - or contacting Western Digital about data recovery options that they may offer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users