Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting Internal Hd To External

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

I currently run Vista Home Premium on a Dell Dimension C521. Is there any chance that I'd actually be able to use the drive from my dead computer with XP SP2 on it if I convert it to an external drive? If so, what would be the possibility of my being able to double boot?

Even if I can't double boot, I'd still love to be able to run the XP drive for some of my older programs that don't do well in Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

The problem is usually the chipset that would be used on one board while different on the other. I have had success doing this with some Dell boards, as long as they are fairly close in production and model.

Other drivers are also loaded that are specific for each install.

You can try it and if it works, you are fortunate.

You would want to go into BIOS and select the USB as the primary boot. Plug it in when you want to run that OS and then unplug it when you want to use the internal drive's OS.

Good luck.

DR

#3 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

Hmmmmm. I don't know anything about the internals of the dead machine (it was custom built for me about 5 years ago) to know if this can be done or not. However, I have a pretty good tech here and if I can cough up the cash, it seems worth it to at least try, based on what you've said, rigacci. Many thanks!

I'll let you know what happens, but don't hold your breath. Could easily be several weeks or more, as I also have property taxes and car insurance looming. Sigh.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

Yes you can double boot with a USB drive and XP if your computer supports booting from USB. But, before you dive into it, here's a good article that I started to use (before I gave up on it): http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

You won't be able to just plug it in and have it work tho'. You may even have to reinstall it all over again to make it work. You'll also need a USB enclosure for the hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

Silly me. I was hoping that with just a few tweaks and considerations along the lines of what rigacci said, my tech could make this almost a plug & play. According to what I could understand from that article, it looks as though XP would have to be reinstalled, even though it's already on the HD, along with the programs I want to use. (It's the MB that killed the machine.) I still have my original retail copy of XP (SP2 would need to be slipstreamed) and the reg key, so at least there's one positive aspect to this. When/if the time comes, I'll point my tech toward the article and its forums.

Thanks so much for your input, John. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dialer, 12 January 2008 - 08:14 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:15 AM

Not a problem! I like these things that challenge us to do what others say "can't be done".

FWIW - back in the old days I was told that I couldn't run WFW on 1 mB of RAM - so I went ahead and did it anyway! It was a challenge and I learned a lot from it (read the Resource Guide from cover-to-cover) - and it worked quite well until my mobo died from a leaking battery.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

Well, I'll just have to hope that my tech is up for - and to - the challenge. Seems as though it's worth a try, anyway. At the very least, I'll end up with an 80 gig external drive for storage, though it would undoubtedly be cheaper just to buy a new one with a lot more space. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users