Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have A New Unwanted Icon That's Been Downloaded When I Rebooted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jesscor72

jesscor72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

I have an unknown icon that was downloaded when I rebooted my computer. (I did not knowingly download anything). I was watching harmless videos on Metacafe.com when I started to receive script errors and then froze up. When I rebooted the computer message said to wait while it updated my configuration files. Now this icon is on my bottom tool bar. It is an eightsided metal looking icon with a wavy line through the middle. This line starts with the color yellow and turns to red from the middle to its' end (left to right). When I pass the mouse over it, it does not give a description of what it is nor does anything happen when I right click or left click on it. I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the startup menu or in the add/remove program file. Can anyone tell me what this is and how to remove it please? Thanks for the help.

PS I have ME for my OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

Hello ,what anti virus and spyware tools do you have? Have you rrun scans from safe Mode with them.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Would you post a screen shot so we can see the icon.
How to make a screen shot in Windows
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jesscor72

jesscor72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:13 PM

Thank you for trying to help me. I am not a whiz at this computer stuff too well, so I am not sure how to make a screen shot. However I was able to find out about a program called WinPatrol which is free to download. It showed the icon was SwHelper_1020023 - something Shockwave with Adobe systems put there. From what I read it is not unsafe but I had Scotty kill it and it is now gone from my computer. A great little program! Thanks again for your reply!

Oh, and I will check out your link How to Make a Screenshot! :thumbsup:

Edited by jesscor72, 13 January 2008 - 04:16 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

Hi that file is the installer file for shockwave player.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users