Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondary IDE channel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chevyusa1

chevyusa1

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:02 AM

Hello,
When I reboot my computer I see the following message: "Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor installed". I've had this computer for 2 years and have never seen this message until a few days ago. Is this a hardware failure? And how do I fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:54 PM

The error means that you are using a 40-pin IDE cable instead of an 80-pin. Newer drives need the 80-pin to run their fastest. Have you installed a new drive recently?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#3 chevyusa1

chevyusa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:17 PM

Hmmm, this is quite odd. I have not installed any new drives at all. The most recent Harware change was about 6 months ago and that was a Graphics card upgrade from 64mb to 128mb. Stumped. Let me know if you need more info and Thanks for the reply!

#4 chevyusa1

chevyusa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:37 AM

I am using an 80 pin cable, so does this mean that my cable is/has failed? If so then I can buy a new one and install it? Thanks again!

#5 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:49 PM

Yes, you could try a new one. I guess you could also check to see if the cable is loose or broken. I don't know what else could be causing it. Anyhow, if everything works, I'd just ignore the error.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users