Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Web Page Says I've Been Hacked

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 donp3

donp3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hi, this is my first post here so I hope it's in the right place.

Haven't used my notebook for a few weeks while I was on holiday, so I spent a few hours downloading the updates for xp and other software. After that was done I clicked on one of "my favourites" to catch up with my other forum buddies. Instead of the home page I was expecting to see, a page that said WARNING, THIS COW HAS BEEN HACKED appeared. I immediately logged off and ran several spyware/virus scans - all negative. However, I am worried as I had security toolbar 7.1 recently, and had a lot of trouble getting rid of it.

I'm tempted to reformat, but is there a way to tell if I really have been hacked first?

I am running Windows XP firewall enabled. I've overdone the antispyware due to previous problems -Spybot/Spynomore & Norton.

Many thanks in advance, regards Don.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

Hello I am trying to find more info on this item. In the meantime please run these online scans
Have you also run your online scans from Safe Mode?
ESET's Online Scanner

Panda ActiveScan?

Let us know if something was found.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 donp3

donp3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

Hi boopme and many thnks for the reply. I sent the administrator of the forum in question an email telling him about this yesterday. I just got a reply saying that hackers keep changing the home page of the forum and there is no risk to me, PHEW!!

I am reassured, but just to be sure I'll do as you suggest and let you know later if I find anything.

Once again, thank you. Regards, Don.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

If you do a Google search, you will similar reports at other sites.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 donp3

donp3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:15 PM

Hi again, Panda active scan came out clear, I couldn't use the Eset scan without paying for it, (unless I was doing something wrong), so I skipped that one. I think then, I'm OK.
I looked on google, and I think that those Saudi hackers get their kicks from messing up forums. Although as I'm working in Saudi I think there'll be a nagging doubt in the back of my mind. So, I've got a lot of backing up to do but I will be reformatting just to be extra sure.

I want to thank you guys for taking the time to help me. I've only just started to look at the threads on this forum and I think that there are a lot of very clever people on here. I'm full of admiration and look forward to learning as much as I can.

Thanks again, Regards, Don.

Edited by donp3, 14 January 2008 - 03:16 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:27 PM

Your welcome.

To protect yourself against malware read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008".
"Hardening Windows Security - Part 1".
"Hardening Windows Security - Part 2".
"IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users