Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-virus, Ad-aware, Windows Defender, Spybot. Spywareblaster

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rhythm08

rhythm08

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:29 PM

sorry for being noob but may i ask these questions?

1. what is the difference of an anti-virus, ad-aware, windows defender,spywareblaster and spybot?
2. do they have their own task or they're just the same?
3. malware and spyware cannot detect by anti-virus alone?
4. installing 2 anti-virus at the same time will result to conflict right? how about installing anti-virus, spybot, ad-aware and spyblaster? will there be a conflict?

thanks and more power BC. :thumbsup:

oh yeah and one more thing. i just read this mcafee siteadvisor. will it be ok if i install this mcafee siteadvisor with my avast installed or there would be a conflict?

Edited by rhythm08, 12 January 2008 - 03:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

1. An antivirus mostly picks up viruses only unless your product contains anti spyware (most dont)
Plesse remember that an anti virus is essential and you HAVE to have one

The other things you listed are Anti malware programs. They are essential to. Well, most consider them so. You can have as many Anti spyware programs as you like I guess. But I suggest two: One with resident protection (Windows Defender or AVG Antispyware is what I recommend, but I orefer AVG as I couldn't install defender) and a scanner (Super Antispyware is by far the best Ive used and Windows Defender and AVG are also scanners but you still should two

2. When you say "do they have their own task or are they just the same " I assume you mean the anti virus and anti malware programs.
Anti virus programs are designed to scan and protect you from viruses
Anti malware programs are designed to protect you from viruses and scan for them

3. Malware and Spyware can be detected by some anti virus programs but its still best to have two seperate ones

4. Yes, running two anti virus will cause conflict but you can run as many anti malware as you like I guess

Hope this helped :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 rhythm08

rhythm08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:59 AM

thank you so much!!

#4 Teenage.Zombiee