Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several Questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hagabooq

hagabooq

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

hi again,
i have several questions and i really cant classify them to post them in the right sub forum so some of my question may be repeated in several forums i hope this doesn't bother anybody... here they are

1) does setting a password on the BIOS access prevent malware form writing themselves to the BIOS memory

2) my mobo doesnt have a physical jumper to prevent flashing to the BIOS, but there is an option in Adcanced BIOS settings title "No excute memory protection".. its description is " when disabled, it forces NX feature flag to always return 0

if i disable it , will this prevent ANY writing/altering to the BIOS by MALWARES or even flashing the bios for upgrade

3)is it possible to restrict the launch of a certain program on the computer to a hardware device.. i think its called a dongle..... how to do so ? how secure is it , ie can the dongle encryption method be cracked?

4) i have just found out i have a modem+router device that has no hardware firewall.... i wasn't the one who made the setup so.. anyway, my current router is a repotec RP-IP1800 (i am not sure if it has a hardware firewall or not but i read on a forum that i can add SPI firewall by a certain firmware update)

i would like to know how secure it to use that router, is it safe to use it for internet access when i will be doing online banking and other sensitive uses
if so how to configure it for maximum security

5) i use a network setup where several computers share the same internet connection but we don't allow file sharing or any type of sharing but internet connection.. my question is how secure my pc is in that setup since i don't have control over the other pc and i strongly doubt that there are secure enough as their users dont take online security seriously..

6)
how can a router+adsl modem be a source of malware infection, can it be infected it self , how it is used by malwares to harm users --- i have just realozed that routers+modem are security related, i always thought they are just dumb devices that allow net access and thats it

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

Hello,

Answers...

1 As far as I know, it will prevent unauthorised people accessing and changing your BIOS, this could in theory apply to BIOS. Another point is that some BIOS's are ROM read only memory.

2 NX flag system basically prevents certain programs from inputing code into other programs. think of it as a buffer that seperates each process.

3 There is the option for certain software to have a "key" that will not allow users to access the program or indeed system without the key, it should be noted that virtually all methods can be cracked eventually given time and experience and so on.

4 The router may not be the area to worry about, while having a firewall will increase protection. find out the address for the router ie 192.168.0.1 this will give you a setup page where you can alter settings for added security. If you are doing online banking and the page you are viewing isn't encrypted then you should be wary of proceeding. use https where possible in the address bar (https//www.something.somethingelse.whatever)

5 In that case, you need to invest in a decent software firewall for your system, this should block unauthorised access to your system from the "outside" I would advise comodo firewall.

6 While I have never heard of a router being infected with malware, I'm not saying it can't happen. I have heard of someone getting access to the router and changing the password so that it can't be used by the owner. best steps to stop this is to rename the password to something very complicated and to change it every few weeks or so.

I think thats it, If you need any more info, just ask.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users