Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying Ide Drive To Sata Drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

I installed my new hard drive in my Dell Dimension 8300, and copied all the data from the old one to the new using DriveImage XML. (That's a backup-and-restore application.)

Now it won't let me boot to the new hard drive. After the Dell logo appears, it gives me the choice of starting Windows or the Recovery Console. (This was normal on my old drive). If I choose Windows, I get this message:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware."

I also tried the Recovery Console, but the screen just stays blank.

The drive was working fine, so I doubt its a hardware failure. I'm guessing that the driver for the old drive - an IDE - aren't compatible with those on the new drive, a SATA.

I have the original Windows installation CD, plus the "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" which has a lot of diagnostics and tools. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Edited by shawnvw, 12 January 2008 - 04:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:34 PM

I'm not familiar with that program but it sounds like some important system files were not transfered.

If you can, you would want to use a boot disc in order to create an "image" (usually .iso). This image is usually able to be written to any hard drive and you would be able to boot from it. I usually use a True Image boot disk, so the OS is not being used in anyway.

Why not download a trial version of True Image and try that one?

Good luck.

DR

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

You're trying to load XP from a copy of an IDE disk (so it loads the IDE drivers) - but you're using a SATA drive and the drivers aren't loaded for it. And that's just the beginning of your issues! :thumbsup:

You'll have to attempt a repair install of XP in order to add the SATA drivers and to update the system configuration information (since it changes with each significant hardware change). Here's a link that will help explain some of the glitches that you may encounter: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

Check in the BIOS setup and see if there's an option for the SATA controller to emulate IDE, if there is that would probably allow the installation to boot up using the existing Windows IDE drivers.

It may be possible to then install SATA drivers, but sometimes switching the controller between IDE emulation & SATA mode post-installation just causes a blue-screen at boot.

If the emulation works and you choose leave it set to IDE, you won't have some of the SATA features, eg if the drive is SATA II, you won't have the very high data transfer rate, you'll be limited to IDE UDMA performance, but even this is well beyond a drive's sustained throughput capability. Also you wouldn't have access to NCQ, but not all systems can utilise this anyway, and it is of most benefit to servers.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

You're trying to load XP from a copy of an IDE disk (so it loads the IDE drivers) - but you're using a SATA drive and the drivers aren't loaded for it. And that's just the beginning of your issues! :thumbsup:

You'll have to attempt a repair install of XP in order to add the SATA drivers and to update the system configuration information (since it changes with each significant hardware change). Here's a link that will help explain some of the glitches that you may encounter: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Yes, that's definitely it. I found the SATA drive's manual which says "If you have an existing installation of Windows XP, you must install a Windows driver for the SATA interface before connection the drive."

I just read that you have to manually install SATA drivers when installing Windows - I don't know why they say that; when I first ran the regular install on a SATA drive, it worked fine. In any case, what I have now is a drive that already has it. So what someone needs to tell me now is:

1) Where do I get the SATA drivers for Windows XP?
2) Is there a way to load them into a disk that already has Windows installed, rather than during install?

Edited by shawnvw, 12 January 2008 - 11:54 PM.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:58 AM

did you set the partition active when you initialized the sata drive?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:36 AM

It's the drivers for the SATA controller on the motherboard that need installing, not drivers for the drive itself.

You can usually get the SATA drivers from the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard - although this may require some research if your Dell didn't come with SATA drives (you'd have to figure out who produced the SATA controller for Dell and get the drivers from them)

Then, I'd suggest using this guide to perform a repair install of Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Early on in the repair process you should see a notice at the bottom of the screen to "Press F6 to install RAID/SCSI drivers" or something similar. Press F6 and let Windows look for the SATA drivers on your floppy drive (XP requires a floppy drive for this).

If you don't have a floppy drive, then try this link to slipstream the SATA drivers into your XP installation CD: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--S...XP-installation (I haven't done this myself, so I can't vouch for the link - but they've done good work AFAIK).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:56 AM

if it's a 8300 as stated, that has a promise controller

I have a hard time figuring out why the driver wasn't on the original hard drive tho?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

I have used nlite to slipstream drivers into the cab files for xp installation, it's tricky tho

http://www.nliteos.com/

not sure it's possible with a dell OS disk?
Chewy

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

We do repair installs of XP at work with Dell installation CD's
Also, the installation appears to proceed normally when we format and reinstall.
I have heard about some proprietary stuff on the Dell CD's - but that affects using Dell disks on non-Dell computers, so it shouldn't apply here.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

that dell cd should have the sata drivers slipstreamed already? A quick test would confirm. However if the partition is not set active you could even run it as repair disk and come up empty.

I have made that mistake a few times
Chewy

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

I'm just guessing here, but since the old drive was an IDE - maybe the SATA drivers weren't enabled?
Could be that they're disabled in the BIOS?
Could be that they're not included in the boot sequence?

XP prefers to boot from an IDE drive and will do that if both IDE and SATA drives are present. The only way that I've found to boot straight to a SATA drive is to remove the IDE drive before installing Windows. I dunno if this will affect the image significantly tho'.

#12 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

yeah you will have to change the hdd order in the bios....

and the xp image wont have sata drivers at all, you will have to repair install at minimum.,,.

sorry i was only saying what has already been said, hope it helps!!

goodluck
=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users