Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spybot and Spywarelaster

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 godawgs

godawgs

• Security Colleague
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:13 AM

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I found this site from a link at the Spybot forum.
I don't know if this is the place for this, so if it isn't , let me know where to go and I'll ask there.
I needed to upgrade Spybot Search&Desytoy and one of the posts recommended this site for a tutorial. I linked over and in reading the Spybot tutorial, I found your recommendation of using SpywareBlaster to secure IE instead of the immunize feature in Spybot. Have downloaded both, uninstalled Spybot 1.2, but have not installed the new Spybot and SpywareBlaster programs.
My question is this: Since you recommend SpywareBlaster to secure IE, should I check the box to "Use Internet Explorer protection(SDHelper)" when installing Spybot and then not immunize, or should I leave it unchecked, not immunize, and install Spywareblaster? Or, should I install SpywareBlaster first and wait for the notification I should get when it comes time to immunize the system?

Thanks in advance.

Intel Pentium 4
256MB
WindowsXP SP1
IE 6.0 SP1
McAfee VirusScan v7.02.6000 Home
McAfee Personal Firewall v4.02.6000

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:09 PM

Hi godawgs and welcome to BC

I use both those programs and I do not use the SD helper or immunize (Tea Timer). I run SpyBot when I feel the urge to and SpywareBlaster runs silently in the background. Using Tea Timer (the immunize function) causes TT to pop up with warnings and can be annoying.

My recommendation is to install SpywareBlaster then Spybot. Spybot should find SpyWareBlaster and when it does it will tell you SpywareBlaster is more effective than Tea Timer for activex control protection. Bear in mind you need to update SpyBot each time you open it and you also need to update SpyWareBlaster manually every once in awhile.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:22 PM

Tea Timer is not the same thing as immunize. Immunize is where spybot, and spywareblaster, make it so certain activex programs can no longer run on your computer.

The teatimer program is a real time spyware alert program and in my opinion should be used.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Grinler.

Using Tea Timer in conjunction with programs like Microsoft Spyware and Spysweeper will cause you to have alerts from two programs and in those circumstances you would want to pick your preferred alert system rather than have two.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:23 PM

Correct..you would get multiple alerts from having multiple programs of that same type

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users