Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista -- Is It The Slowest Thing Ever?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beetenn

beetenn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

Wow! so I buy this new Gateway, nothing special but has 1gig ram.

Why the heck is it so slow? I removed unwanted programs, etc. . .

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

For Vista, 1GB of RAM is often inadequate. 2GB is the sweet spot, but more RAM is always recommended. Most programs that are preinstalled on new computers have tons of crapware that can also slow down the system.

3939.png

#3 phoenix_124

phoenix_124

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

RAM could be the issue. From 1GB to 2GB will speed your system up alot! Also please remember Windows Vista™ is the first Windows operating system that directly utilizes the power of a dedicated GPU (graphics processing unit). A faster or more powerful graphics card will accelerate the Windows Vista experience by offering an enriched 3D user interface, increased productivity, vibrant photos, smooth, high-definition videos, and realistic games. 1GB is what Microsoft calls as "Reccomended". Unless your a gamer, a 1 GB RAM is enough for just internet surfing, word processing, email. If you wanna go for more speed get 2GB RAM or just turn off visual settings such as Windows Aero. That might free up some RAM. It is actually said somewhere that Vista requires 1 GB to run optimally by itself! So just get 2 GB and share with good young Vista. 1GB for Vista and 1GB for you :D

Edited by phoenix_124, 12 January 2008 - 06:13 PM.

Ginuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
AMD 64 X2 1GB RAM 2.00GHz

Please note that I will try my best to assist you in this regard...

#4 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:05 AM

#1 Get 2GB of RAM. (i'm currently using 56% of my 2GB so i'm using about 1146mb so if i had 1024 it would be lagging, so even getting a 512mb ram will be fine)

#2 if your system uses system memory from your 1GB for graphics, get a video card. i would go for a 512mb but a 256mb will be ok. either one aren't expensive. just make sure it supports DirectX 10 and Pixel Shader 3.0 or higher.

#3 turn Vidual effects off - meaning turn off Vista Aero if you have that enabled.

Then your performance should be good.

#5 ReallyNeatGirl

ReallyNeatGirl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:35 AM

#1 Get 2GB of RAM. (i'm currently using 56% of my 2GB so i'm using about 1146mb so if i had 1024 it would be lagging, so even getting a 512mb ram will be fine)

#2 if your system uses system memory from your 1GB for graphics, get a video card. i would go for a 512mb but a 256mb will be ok. either one aren't expensive. just make sure it supports DirectX 10 and Pixel Shader 3.0 or higher.

#3 turn Vidual effects off - meaning turn off Vista Aero if you have that enabled.

Then your performance should be good.

Dont just turn off visual effects. Also stop and disable the Desktop Windows Manager service, as this is what controls AERO, and runs even if Aero in disabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users