Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop/startmenu/systray Icons -- Missing?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DrKevorkian

DrKevorkian

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:12 AM

Well this problem seems to have happened to other computer users but no resolute solution has been found to my knowledge.

System:
Windows XP (updated)
Acer Laptop
1 GB DDR
AMD Turion 64 ML-32 Processor

The Problem:
Today I turned on my computer, the normal way, but when I did I noticed that any shortcut lost its icon that went with it. All of the shortcuts on the desktop, all of the shortcuts in the startmenu had too, and the systray losts all of its icons as well. I didn't install any programs the previous day so I am not sure exactly what could have happened. When I did manage to open firefox, all of my settings were reset, including the homepage.

All of the startmenu icons turned into that "missing icon/no assigned program" icon and they do not even open.

Not sure if this is helpful but I will add that I can't even open up programs, besides Firefox, such as system restore or AdAware.
However, the first time I did turn it on, AdAware did start, and gave me about 50 of "registry change attempts" that I had to block/allow, for the most part I blocked them for now. However, the next time I turned my computer on, it said, excuse me for not having it exact, but "Windows could not open 'AdAwareProfessional.LNK'". Same for "LaunchManager.LNK"

I read somewhere that restarting, and shutting down several times had "fixed" the problem, but not sure what that would accomplish.

Could someone possibly fill me in on what went wrong/how to fix it? Is it a virus or something?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

PS: I am scanning my computer with TREND MICRO HouseCall 6.5 (online) right now...

Edited by DrKevorkian, 12 January 2008 - 11:18 AM.

<3 REMEMBER THE DAY YOU SET ME FREE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hello,

This could be a number of things,
1 virus/malware.
2 the font folder needs repairing
3 the file extensions are broken
4 adaware has blocked changes that need to be made.

If the virus scanner comes back as clean, point 1 can be discounted for now. a simple test to see if point 4 can be removed would be to turn off/ remove adaware from starting up/uninstal it.

If not, then let us know and we will go throiugh the other points.

Edited by nigglesnush85, 12 January 2008 - 11:31 AM.

Regards,

Alan.

#3 DrKevorkian

DrKevorkian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:48 AM

Okay, the scan is done, and there were no results/infections reported.

I forgot to add, when I start up my computer, I get this message in a small window right before the Windows Login Screen, with the only option "OK"

裸

If it, helps, I cannot even open regedt32 with the Run dialog box. It wants me to select a program, and when I pick Windows Explorer, it wants me to save something... so I cancel.

Edited by DrKevorkian, 12 January 2008 - 12:14 PM.

#4 DrKevorkian

DrKevorkian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

Okay you guys, thanks a lot...

I fixed the problem with the shortcuts/exe files not working...

Had to open up Task Manager, Ctrl-Click new task.
Type REGEDIT.EXE -> enter
( this opened up regedt32)

Next I found a site with the XP Registry files for the LNK and EXE files, the only two I noticed to be corrupted/disturbed.

Now the actual icons appear instead of that dreaded one. Also they actually open the corresponding program right.

But now I have TWO problems:

1. Ad-Watch wants me to Accept or Block this attempt:
Root: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile\CLSID
Value:
Data:
New Data: {00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

Should I accept it or not? (I'm worried that if I do, I will be doing something bad, or if I don't it will mess my computer again.
(I got a total of five of these messages, and decided to accept them for now)

2. When I start up my computer, I still Recieve a message that gives me some Chinese symbol and it appears above the windows login screen. To continue I have to press OK to the message. Any advice on this?

thanks.

Edited by DrKevorkian, 12 January 2008 - 12:30 PM.

#5 DrKevorkian

DrKevorkian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:39 PM

I fixed the problem for the most part.

I did a system restore to a previous point sometime yesterday. I think that this helped but I got the same AdWatch prompts, and this time, instead of blocking them, I accepted them.

:thumbsup:

#6 jeepdrvr101

jeepdrvr101

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

I also have a similar problem, when I start up, or re boot, my icons will appear for a few seconds, along with the task bar, then disappear, then back again, then gone again. It does this for about a minute, then they are gone for good. I have ran the programs suggested, to no avail. I am thinking this is a software conflict, but do not know how to fix this problem, and can not get to control panel to delete anything.
Should I reformat my hard drive to correct this problem? And if so, how is that done?
I cannot get to a prompt to do anything, right now I am running in safe mode, and I still have no icons or the task bar. however when I do minimize something, it minimizes above where the task bar is, like it is there but invisible, but does nothing when i click on it, no clock, nada. I am hoping some of you gurus here Might be able to help me out. Sorry for the long post.
Mike

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

Thats ok then,

The registry change ad watch wants confirming is a file extension if memory serves me. And from the information you give, it is being reset to its default actions. I would click allow.

The main problem with programs like addwatch is that they monitor the registry for changes that are made and while sometimes malware alters the registry, windows also needs to alter some settings to work correctly and add watch has misread the situation and caused problems.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hi Jeepdrvr101 you need to post a seperate thread in the forum, otherwise people who subscribe to this topic will keep getting notifications.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users