Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Free And Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joyjg

joyjg

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:43 AM

I loaded AVG Free on my system as my virus scanner but I am having some trouble with the email scanning portion. The AVG security status screen show the email scanner being fully functional. However, when I go down to the properties for the personal email scanner I show the incoming pop3 as active on port 10110 and the outgoing smtp as disabled on 10025. I have looked through the manual and forums for AVG and am some how missing the answer to this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Joyjg :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:51 AM

when you launch the AVG control centre; in the security status section do you see a list of entries, (is one of them the E mail scanner) and do they all have green ticks beside them?

a quick edit; when you go to the ports section, personal e mail scanner/server/smtp ; click on 'modify' perhaps? or add?

Edited by ruby1, 12 January 2008 - 09:56 AM.

#3 joyjg

joyjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

Everything is checked in green and I did go in and modify the SMTP to be enabled, which it nows shows. However, I find it confusing that AVG would indicate that everything was covered, and then when you look in more detail you find that part of it is disabled. Oh well. Thanks for the reply.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:40 PM

The setting is the same on the machine running AVG here, I think it is the normal setting. It's not the scanning that is shown as disabled, its the proxy server for SMTP (email send). Email protection usually involves running a proxy server in a Virtual Machine, the emails pass through the proxy server to be scanned so any malicious content is confined to the Virtual Machine. Defaulting the SMTP proxy server to a disabled state is the safest condition to protect against the computer being used as a zombie, ie a malicious program sending spam emails etc. Seems to me AVG would only enable the server to pass approved emails, then disable it again.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

Platypus is correct, this is the normal setting for AVG Free.
See AVG - FAQ#678
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:38 AM

But seems like I'm not correct about thinking they would default to the secure setting. That's disappointing - I don't have access to the system with AVG at the moment, so I'll have to see if I can confirm that tomorrow with the test "virus". Unless someone else is in a position to try it...

#7 joyjg

joyjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:13 AM

I read the AVG #678 that TMack suggested and I am not sure I get it exactly. Are they saying that the outgoing email is scanned and then sent to the SMTP? Reading the email from Platypus it would seem that I should keep the SMTP as disabled, since the only email that will get to the SMTP is already scanned and verified as clean. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the responses.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:25 AM

I'm a bit hampered now because I've just discovered the people's computer where I was using AVG has just been decommissioned & replaced. I can't send test emails to see exactly what AVG does, as I use Avast myself. Grr.

joyjg, AVG's explanation is that the "Disabled" setting refers to scanning, so that by default, outgoing emails are not scanned. We should expect they are explaining it properly.

Since the setting was in the proxy section, it seemed to me at first that it would be the proxy that was disabled, since this would be a "safety first" setting. The way they explain it, if you want the safest setting, you should have that setting enabled.

Since you have Outlook Express operating, do you also have a webmail account like hotmail or Gmail? If so, you can check what AVG does by sending an email from your computer using OE, to your webmail address. Make sure the option in AVG to add a "scanned by AVG" notice to emails is enabled. When SMTP scanning is set to be active, the email that you sent, in your webmail inbox, will have the notice added to the bottom of the text, confirming the email was scanned before being sent. If you don't have a webmail address, send an email to a friend and ask them if it had the notice at the bottom.

That would make sure we're reading the FAQ right.

Edited by Platypus, 15 January 2008 - 08:32 AM.

#9 joyjg

joyjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

I sent myself an email at work and it did have an attachment showing that it had been scanned by AVG. So it appears that it is working since I set the outgoing to enabled.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:43 AM

Excellent. Thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users