Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying An External Hard Drive Next Month :)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:06 AM

Ok so Im defiantly buying an external HD because I can't keep running CCleaner and removing old restore points, as it is becoming annoying.

First of all will it be okay for me to move all my media files and games to the external hard drive? Will I encounter any issues with this?

Can I slice of partions of the external hard drive? Like say if I buy a 120GB can I have 2†60†GB†partions?

Is it possible for me to install programs onto an external drive? Better yet move my existing programs over to the external drive?

Ive also heard that I can choose to format it with NTFS or FAT32. If I was to partion and use one of the partions for programs and the other for digital media and games would I be better formatting the one that I will be putting programs onto to NTFS and the media one to FAT32?

This is the part that worries me the most:
If the†external hard drive fails (god forbid) would I loose†everything†or could I take it somewhere to get it fixed?

I know Ive asked many questions but alot of people here are knowledgable, wise people with things like this so I'd be very greatful for answers :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:03 AM

Hello

1. Yes you can transfer those sorts of files to the external hard drive, one word of caution, I read an article saying Western Digital were not allowing people to put any media ie songs and so on

2 i believe that you can partition an external drive, I've never tried though.

3 yes you can run games of it, moving games however will be difficult as they are embeded in the system

4 formatting would be down to personal choice I would go with ntfs for the whole drive

5 if the drive fails, you can try recovery software if that doesn't work there are companies that will be able to help.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

Ok so Im defiantly buying an external HD because I can't keep running CCleaner and removing old restore points, as it is becoming annoying

If the external hard drive fails (god forbid) would I loose everything or could I take it somewhere to get it fixed?

Why are you running CCleaner all of the time?
You can adjust the size of the restore point folder. When it's full, it will just overwrite itself http://www.microsoft.com/
An external hard drive is exactly the same as what's in you computer, when it goes it goes. Just so you know, you don't have to purchase a premade unit. You can buy whatever hard drive you want and get a compatible USB enclosure.
Make sure whatever you buy that it has it's own power supply (it doesn't get it's power through the USB cable)
Another thing to consider down the road is a drive cloning program such as Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

1. Yes you can transfer those sorts of files to the external hard drive, one word of caution, I read an article saying Western Digital were not allowing people to put any media ie songs and so on

Just don't use the software that comes with the drive
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/File-Sh...e-Devices-90072
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 12 January 2008 - 10:58 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

Thanks garmanma
Well you see Im running CCleaner all the time because I have a really small hard disk.

I adjustd the size of my estore though as you suggested :thumbsup:
That way I wont be like this :huh:
Whenever Im low on space :huh:
and I see an improvment already

#6 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

just keep in mind that you will be limited to the access speed of USB, so you will probably see increased load time with heavy games/apps...perfect for music and whatnot thou.
=)

#7 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:54 AM

just keep in mind that you will be limited to the access speed of USB, so you will probably see increased load time with heavy games/apps...perfect for music and whatnot thou.

Thanks 4ward_tristan
Just out of curiosity.. Since I dont have USB 2.0 ports.. This is gonna mean slow right?

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:30 AM

If you dont have USB 2.0 it will be slow, you can get around this by adding a USB card into your desktop.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:51 AM

Whats a USB card?
:thumbsup:
For a smart person I sure am dumb

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:13 AM

Whats a USB card?
:thumbsup:
For a smart person I sure am dumb

USB-PCI card
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#11 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:13 AM

Thanks garmanma :thumbsup:

#12 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

I use an external WD 160GB SATA 2.5 inch drive USB 2.0, and i used Paragon Partition Manager (Shareware) dividing into 2 80 partitions. It can merge or split a HD without losing any data. But i dont know much about file sharing, i use both partition to store diff stuff.

#13 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:10 AM

With the P2P program I use I can select which folders I wish to share files from

And thanks for the tip by the way I think it would be easier to use a partion manager because I don't like doing things via windows (in case I REALLY screw up)

#14 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:05 PM

I read an article saying Western Digital were not allowing people to put any media ie songs and so on

I thought this only applied to their Western Digitalís new 1Terrabyte MyBooks external drive.
Surly it can't be for all WD external HD's?
X

#15 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:56 AM

I thought this only applied to their Western Digitalís new 1Terrabyte MyBooks external drive.
Surly it can't be for all WD external HD's?

My WD external HD works great just like any other HDs, i bought it last month.

also Teenage.Zombiee, check out http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html there are lots of freewares such as password manager and partition manager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users