Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'ghost' Floppy Disk Controller In Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Adam.H

Adam.H

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:13 AM

I have a laptop which has no floppy disk drive (do any these days?)
Device manager shows a 'standard floppy disk controller' with a yellow exclamation mark next to it and in the properties it reports that; 'This device cannot start. (Code 10).
I have un-installed it several times but it reappears each time I re-start my system.
Device manager reports that it's location is unknown but has allocated resources to it (IRQ, DMA etc.) which given my other problem I would very much like to free up.
There are no floppy disk drive options that I can find in my system BIOS

Thanks for any help you can give.

Samsung NP-M50
Win XP Pro SP 2
Pentium M 2GHz processor
2Gb RAM
160Gb Hard drive

Edited by Adam.H, 12 January 2008 - 06:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:43 AM

Hello,

In your BIOS can you see FDD at all? some BIOS display things differently.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Adam.H

Adam.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:14 AM

I've just double checked, there is no mention of a FDD anywhere in the BIOS, even the boot settings don't include a 'boot from floppy disk' option.

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:51 AM

Is there a floppy disk controller on the motherboard? If so, is there a jumper to enable\disable it?
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

The yellow exclamation point indicates not only that the device can't start, but that Windows doesn't know how to start it. This can cause incorrect names to be installed.

Based upon your other problem, I'd have to suggest working on only one issue at a time. IMO it's very likely that the 2 are related, and that you may find that the phantom floppy drive controller is actually a different device.

Check the Details in Device Manager for that device's Hardware ID. The Vendor ID is the 4 characters after "VEN_", while the Device ID is the 4 characters after the "DEV_". Use the Vendor ID and the Device ID to search for the device at this link: http://www.pcidatabase.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

I'm just wondering whether the correct set of repair disks came with the computer
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Adam.H

Adam.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:14 PM

I'm just wondering whether the correct set of repair disks came with the computer
Mark

Interesting thought Mark but I'm sure they're correct. One is Windows XP Pro OEM version with Samsung branding and the other (drivers) disk has 'Samsung M50 system software media' printed on it.
Adam

Edited by Adam.H, 12 January 2008 - 02:15 PM.

#8 Adam.H

Adam.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:34 PM

The yellow exclamation point indicates not only that the device can't start, but that Windows doesn't know how to start it. This can cause incorrect names to be installed.

Based upon your other problem, I'd have to suggest working on only one issue at a time. IMO it's very likely that the 2 are related, and that you may find that the phantom floppy drive controller is actually a different device.

Check the Details in Device Manager for that device's Hardware ID. The Vendor ID is the 4 characters after "VEN_", while the Device ID is the 4 characters after the "DEV_". Use the Vendor ID and the Device ID to search for the device at this link: http://www.pcidatabase.com/

I think you could well be right about the disk controller being something other than a disk controller and the two problems being related. I cant find the information for the hardware and vendor IDs, the only thing I can find the the Device instance ID which is: ROOT\*PNP0700\1_0_13_0_0_0
I assume PNP stands for 'Plug and Play' - if only! the only other things are derivations of that.

I beginning to think that both problems maybe down to the PCI bus or PCMCIA socket especially after finding someone else has got the same problem after installing a Ricoh PCI to PCMCIA adapter my system also has a Ricoh addapter - I'm going to try removing and re-installing the drivers for that to see if it helps.

Please bear with me.....

Adam

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

Not a problem, these are the most vexing problems for me and the most challenging. I enjoy wrasslin' with drivers! :thumbsup:

Try checking the other entries in the details tab - looking for the VEN_ and DEV_ entries to see what you can find.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Adam.H

Adam.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:33 PM

I enjoy wrasslin' with drivers!

I think you need to get out more John lol - but seriously; thanks for your help.

This is what I've just tried:

Completely removed the installation of the Sony Ericsson modem by uninstalling and then going through the registry deleting any remaining entries.
Disabled all the other modem and network adapters from device manager.
Used 'devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1' at the command prompt to make any other 'ghost' devices visible in device manager and deleted them.
Reinstalled the PCI bus and PCMCIA drivers.
Deleated the 'ghost' floppy disk controller.
Rebooted into safe mode.
Deleated the 'ghost' drive again.
Installed the Sony Ericsson software.
Re-booted into safe mode again at the prompt.
Inserted the modem card and let it install.
Rebooted into normal windows again at the prompt.

Result:

'This device cannot find enough resources that it can use. (Code 12)' for the Sony Ericsson modem.
I still have 'ghost' floppy disk controller listed.

Something I noticed, not sure if it means anything; after I delete the 'ghost' drive, if I do a scan for hardware changes the drive is not found, it only appears after a reboot so I'm wondering if it might be a registry entry that's causing it to appear rather than a hardware issue - not really sure how to check for this though, I had a look at HCR but nothing there (not surprising, was just following the ROOT/*PNP0700 ID) also had a look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services but couldn't find anything there either.

I did use your link to PCIdatabase to check the PCI and PCMCIA chips and they are as listed in device manager so the drivers I have are correct. Thanks for that.

I'm pretty much out of ideas now.....

Adam

Edited by Adam.H, 13 January 2008 - 12:09 AM.

#11 Adam.H

Adam.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:13 AM

Is there a floppy disk controller on the motherboard? If so, is there a jumper to enable\disable it?

I don't really want to take my laptop apart to find out! This problem never appeared until I reloaded windows, I haven't made any hardware changes so I think it's doubtful that this is the problem.

#12 Adam.H

Adam.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:00 AM

I found the following references to the drive in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\*PNP0700\1_0_13_0_0_0

Where it is indeed listed as a floppy disk controller

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fdc\Enum

Where it is listed as the only instance of an FDC on the system.

After deleting the floppy disk controller from device manager these both disappeared but after rebooting they're back again.

The other devices with similar addresses in the registry are system devices eg. *PNP0800 is the system speaker, *PNP0b00 is the system clock etc. so I'm back to thinking that this is an actual hardware device that hasn't had it's driver loaded and so the system is mislabelling it.

It looks like it's not connected via the PCI bus so bang goes that theory which also makes it less likely that it's the cause of my modem woes....

Edited by Adam.H, 13 January 2008 - 01:00 AM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:50 AM

Do you have a link to the technical specifications of this system? I can't find one on the Samsung site (but I only looked at English language entries). Also, what country was this system purchased in?

It is possible that the board was made with a Floppy Disk Controller (FDC) even if one is not installed on the system (this is the device on the motherboard that controls the floppy drive - not the floppy drive itself). The problem is that there isn't a driver for the FDC, nor is there an entry in the BIOS for it. But PNP has enumerated it as the 0700 device - which seems to be the standard ID for the FDC in Windows (I found it in Win98, WinXP, and Vista)

So, I'd suspect that it's either present and not needed - or that it's misidentified and we'll have to find something to fit it.

The easiest thing (IMO) would be to disable it in Device Manager. This may not fix it, but it could change the nature of the errors in your other issue (then we could assume that they're one and the same problem).

As it's a laptop, there's no easy way to test the hardware - although running this free utility may give some clues: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264

Since you've already formatted and reinstalled - did you happen to note if the phantom floppy was present before you tried to install the Sony wireless card? Have you tried to install a different brand of wireless card to see if that works? But we've also got to consider that it may be an issue with the PMCIA slot - so, do you have access to a USB wireless adapter that you could borrow for a bit? That way, if you can connect wirelessly through USB - then the problem only exists through the PMCIA port. And if some cards work in the PMCIA slot we can rule that out as a problem (but if nothing works in the PMCIA slot, then it may be that the slot is bad).

I really don't have a clue as to what's causing this. The thing that's uppermost in my pea-brain is that the phantom floppy could be similar to the phantom CD that some CD software installs on your system. So, if the Sony wireless card software is doing this, it could be a problem with how the software was written. Do you have the latest version of the Sony software for this device (not the stuff that came on the CD, but the version available at their website)? It's either that or a problem with the hardware (either the card, the slot, or the rest of the computer).

So, to summarize, we're down to 2 possibilities (just sorta thinking out loud here) - it's a hardware issue or it's a software issue. You've formatted and reinstalled Windows so that would seem to rule out a problem with Windows. With some more information and experimentation we should be able to rule out it being a software problem with the Sony wireless software. That will leave us with either a bad wireless card, a bad PMCIA slot, or a bad computer - and the wireless card is the easiest to replace (you may even be able to return it depending on where you purchased it).

Edit: I wonder if the FDC is present in case you want to use a USB floppy drive? Then you'd need the FDC to operate it (I think)?

Edited by usasma, 13 January 2008 - 07:52 AM.
Addl Thought :)

#14 Adam.H

Adam.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

John , first of all; thanks so much for the time you've spent on this, I really do appreciate your help.

I've had no internet for the last 24hrs (for reasons you may be able to guess at...) so sorry it's taken a while to get back to you.

I upgraded this laptop from and 80Gb to a 160Gb hard drive about a year ago and (as I've had problems with hard drives failing in the past) rather than format the old drive and use it - I just kept it. I dug it out today and put it back in to have a look through device manager and the registry to see if I could find out what was going on. Although very sluggish (one of the reasons I opted for a clean install rather than a repair install) everything was once again nicely in order.

First thing I found is that with the old installation there is no phantom drive and the modem card works fine (I had to install it as I hadn't bought it when I got the new drive). So I am sure it's an issue with my new installation of windows rather than any of the hardware.

The second thing is that the ACPI devices that were previously installed have disappeared - my guess is that this phantom drive is actually an ACPI device that's been incorrectly identified by windows (much as you suspected).

I was unable to find anything in the old version of the registry at the PNP0700 address so I'm none the wiser as to which exact bit of the system it is.

I'm willing to bet that if I can get the ACPI devices to appear and install correctly the phantom drive will disappear and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the modem works also.

To that end I put the new much bigger (and even then 3/4 full) drive back into the system and backed up all the data ready to try another re-install of windows.

This is where I realised what was probably the root cause of the problem: After backing up all my stuff I had formatted the hard drive and then did the installation from the XP Pro 'recovery' disk supplied with the computer, but there was a problem; each time I tried to do the install the computer turned itself off without warning a few minutes into the install.

I tried using F5 at the 'Press F6 now to install third party drivers' to bring up options but there were only two in the list; Standard i486 C-Step (something like that but I can't remember the exact words) and 'Other' if I selected 'Other' then the install reported 'Cannot find txtsetup.oem' and using the 'i486' option still caused the computer to turn off during the install.

F7 to the rescue! (or so I thought) By pressing F7 at the 'Press F6' prompt the computer sailed through the installation process and has indeed been running much faster and more reliably than it was before (albeit with these few small glitches) F7 turns off ACPI support (I thought just during the DOS part of the setup program) and so I think that it was has caused this whole mess.

And so here I am back rather at square 1.

I have re-installed windows today (a repair install) and eventually got back to the exact same situation - no ACPI, a phantom floppy disk drive and a modem that won't work also this time a mouse that won't work (until I swapped the nice logitech driver that I like for the default windows one) and a couple of other new program errors.

So then I tried a clean install but have hit the same problem, the only way I can get install to run is by hitting F7 to disable ACPI (which I suspect will cause all the same problems to appear all over again) so I've now got a more broken system than before, and although I'm little more knowledgeable as to the cause of the problem - I'm not much nearer to a solution.

Anyway - as this post demonstrates I'm now back online (thanks to one of my neighbours unsecured wi-fi) and will search out a solution to install ACPI with windows XP - as ever any information gratefully received.

One other thought does occur to me - I could copy the disk content from the old drive onto the new one and then try a repair installation over that....

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Adam

FYI:

I bought the system in the UK but it is now out of warranty
I can't find ant tech specs for it online but the user manual is here also there a review with some details here.
As you can see this is not a low end machine and I bought it after being very pleased with Samsung X10 I had before it but I have to say their support is disappointing.

Edited by Adam.H, 14 January 2008 - 09:00 AM.

#15 Adam.H

Adam.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:46 AM

Mark

Interesting thought Mark but I'm sure they're correct. One is Windows XP Pro OEM version with Samsung branding and the other (drivers) disk has 'Samsung M50 system software media' printed on it.
Adam

You know Mark you maybe right about this after all... It is the correct disk but it appears not to have the 'textsetup.oem' file for my system on it which would probably have prevented the problem from appearing in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users