Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diskeeperlite

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:07 AM

Hi...

I was just being nosy and noticed this entry below in my AutoExec . bat file,

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AUTODE~1;"C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\";C:\PROGRA~1\ZIPGEN~1\;C:\PROGRA~1\ZIPGEN~1\
SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

As DiskeeperLite was not compatible with Windows ME I thought I had un-installed it as soon as I found this out in 2004, yet today while in one of my nosy fad's :flowers: I noticed it in the same line with ZIPGEN ( I think it's Zip Genius )

I will admit while I was in my " Stupid :thumbsup: Mode " I looked in " Add Remove Programs " it was not there so I deleted the whole line and saved the new file. Shut down my PC, with fingers crossed, holding my breath I Re-Booted and I'm still here...

How can I get rid of " DiskeeperLite " and still Keep " Zip Genius "
Posted Image

Tarrah then... Why not check my Intro

Many Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

Hi.

The SET PATH= parameter in your autoxec.bat file doesn't indicate dk lite still exists on your system. That line just specifies a number of search paths the computer will use to look for files with incomplete location specifications. Each semicolon (;) seperates between an entry. To remove the diskeeper search path, delete the sequence bolded in the quote below, then save the file.
So the line will read:

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AUTODE~1;C:\PROGRA~1\ZIPGEN~1\;C:\PROGRA~1\ZIPGEN~1\

Hi...

I was just being nosy and noticed this entry below in my AutoExec . bat file,

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AUTODE~1;"C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\";C:\PROGRA~1\ZIPGEN~1\;C:\PROGRA~1\ZIPGEN~1\

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

Hi Platypus...

I thank you for your explanation and it has worked :thumbsup: as it was you who also replied to my post about writing a boot program, I have since found out that SpyBot when I last updated, had asked me to run something " Tea Time " and this was in conflict with " WinPatrol " which I still trust. They must have been fighting for my system processor at shut down; and now I have disabled " Tea Time " I have not, touch wood; had a single blue screen.

You are way cool :flowers:

Regards
Posted Image

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

Gosh! :thumbsup:

TeaTimer is a good idea, monitoring registry changes, but it can cause conflicts. I hope that proves to be the full resolution of your problem. Cheers.

Edited by Platypus, 12 January 2008 - 08:07 PM.

#5 chooch.42

chooch.42

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hi, El_Tel, Platypus ! 'Nother Noob just dropping in... Q: I'm running an ME box and using DK Lite with NO issues - how is it not comp with ME ? Thanks from the digitally challenged Bob C.

#6 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:28 AM

Hi

I might have been a bit misleading with my comments, and I apologise to all who use the program. As the version I originally had was " Diskeeper Lite 3.0 ".
Also I have been trying to think just what I was referring to. Bear in mind that I have trouble remembering last week never mind my reason back in 2004.
My conclusion is that it did not do what I thought it would do, and that was more likely to be the bit about " Set it and Forget it "... As I'm a prime ID 10 IT PC user I vaguely remember trying to compare it with " Windows ME " Defrag program,
IE: After just doing a " Win ME " Defrag then Re-Booting and then trying DiskerLite, only to find that it still took as long and the hard drive had just been defraged.

Regards
Posted Image

#7 chooch.42

chooch.42

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the come-back, El - I thought maybe it worked only because I didn't know it was incompatible. :thumbsup: Thanks from...

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:18 AM

After just doing a " Win ME " Defrag then Re-Booting and then trying DiskerLite, only to find that it still took as long and the hard drive had just been defraged.

That's not unusual. There is no single "correct" way to defragment a drive - every defrag program will have its own strategy using various priorities to decide how to arrange files and do the other tasks involved.

Even though the ME defrag actually is Diskeeper (a simplified version licenced by Microsoft), the two programs likely don't come to the same conclusion about how a drive should be optimized. So if you run Diskeeper after the ME defrag, it probably just re-arranges some of the work ME defrag has done. (This is an important reason to settle on just one defrag program and use that.)

For the same reason, the only way to precisely compare the speed of defrag programs is to have an image of a fragmented drive, time one defragmenter, then restore the identical image to the drive again and time the other defrag.

#9 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hi Platypus

Thanks for your good :flowers: explanation, I have just downloaded Diskeeper Lite Ver 7 and will give it a whirl; as I'm about due for doing a defrag anyway.

I will of course be installing it with " Total Uninstall ". Then run it in Safe Mode. Lets see if it beats " Win ME " defrag of approx 2hrs.

:thumbsup:

Edit

Well after 3 1/2 Hrs I had to go to sleep, so I turned everything off and just left the tower unit running.
This morning all was OK, but I will have to try it next month and compare it then.

Regards
El Tel

Edited by El_Tel, 23 January 2008 - 03:32 AM.

Posted Image

#10 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:22 AM

I have just used DiskeeperLite free v7 this morning, which took :flowers: approx' 50 Min's in safe mode, below are 3 screen shots.

Before with analysis with 180 file fragmented

Posted Image

After with analysis and it looks like it has only completed 96% ?

Posted Image

When finished you can still see some wholes, swap files and some red de-fragmented ?

Posted Image

Do theses images look OK to those that use Diskeeperlite v7
I also noted that throughout the week diskeeper kept giving me an annoying nag screen with various messages, prompting to buy the full version and run the program more often IE Set It & forget It? If it only takes 50 Min's next Month I can live with the nag screens, or do they get more :trumpet: persistant...

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:00 AM

That looks OK to me. It's not unusual to see a few files that could not be defragmented, and some un-compacted regions (free space not fully defragmented). This latter is a trade-off against time - not bothering with a process that might technically improve the defrag, but in practice would take so much longer and achieve little.

I don't think the nags get any more persistent, but Diskeeper does like the idea of set&forget (background defrag), helping to prevent the steady encroachment of fragmentation. So they want to keep bringing this "advantage" of the full program to your attention...

Edited by Platypus, 03 February 2008 - 05:01 AM.

#12 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:38 AM

Thanks Platypus

After that first run of 3 + hr's, 50 Min's to defrag a months PC usage is way better than the 2hr I was use to every month.

It's a shame I can't edit my first post has the title is misleading, now I am warming to the idea of Diskeeperlite.

Out of curiosity I took another look in my "AutoExec.bat" and it is back :flowers: this time at the end of the first line, but as I'm planing on keeping it now, there it will stay.

Once again Thanks for your explanation. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#13 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:19 AM

Hi

I'm going to Un-Install Diskeeperlite in event to :thumbsup: eliminate it from the equation, as my PC has not been behaving itself for awhile now, more so since this was installed. In particular as I have no control as to when it scans, the last time this occurred was in the middle of a system :flowers: restore while trying to resolve my other :trumpet: problem, about Win32 Kernel Sygate Pop Up that I've already started a post about.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users