Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable_boot_volume Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amarant00

amarant00

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:42 AM

Last night there was a pretty bad thunderstorm and I unhooked everything from the computer but forgot about the internet wires...
I woke up this morning and someone had plugged it in when they woke up and the computer was running perfectly. The power went off and came back on really fast and since then I have been getting an error that says unmountable_boot_volume and I cannot start windows in safe mode, i cannot delete windows off the computer, and i found somewhere on the internet that it told me to put the windows disk in and repair windows and when at the c: prompt screen type chkdsk /r and i did that and it has been froze like that for well over an hour? anyone have any idea if I can salvage it or at least my files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:54 AM

It's not unheard of for chkdsk to take over an hour.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

<<...it has been froze like that for well over an hour?>>

Are you saying that chkdsk did not begin to run...or are you saying that chkdsk has been running for over an hour?

Chkdsk /r is the standard fix for unmountable boot volume errors and the time it takes to run depends on the size of the disk, how badly it was needed, etc.

Louis

#4 amarant00

amarant00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

after i typed chkdsk /r it sat there and sounded like the computer was doing something for ten minutes and the screen showed the exact same thing the whole time I don't know if its supposed to sit there at that screen or not

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

OK...you were in the Recovery Console, using the XP CD.

You typed in 1 for the Windows installation...you just hit Enter for the password prompt...and then you typed in chkdsk /r (exactly like that) and hit Enter. Is that correct?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users