Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'code 12' Error With Sony Gc89 Gprs/edge Modem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Adam.H

Adam.H

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:07 AM

I have been using a Sony Ericsson CG89 Edge modem to connect to the internet on my Samsung NP-M50 Laptop

The card was working fine until I recently formatted my hard drive and did a clean re-install of windows from the 'System restore' disk that came with my Samsung M50 Laptop. Since then the card stubbornly refuses to work on that computer.
The 'wireless manager' software can't find the modem and when I look in device manager it reports 'This device cannot find enough resources that it can use. (Code 12)' error.

The resources tab simply says that the device isn't using any resources as it cannot start so I don't know what is causing the conflict.

I know the card is working because I've tested it in my Sony Vaio (and i'm using it to connect to the net right now) so I think the problem must be with windows or the driver, so far I have tried the following with no success:

The troubleshooter (a waste of time)
Disabling all the other network cards and modems on my system from device manager.
Un-installing and then re-installing the GC89 drivers (there are no more recent drivers available)
Re-installing windows (again!)

I found this thread on wincert.net which describes a similar problem with windows Vista but sadly no solution.

Possibly related to this is a phantom floppy disk drive that keeps appearing in device manager.

My system set-up is as follows:

Win XP Pro SP 2
Pentium M 2GHz processor
2Gb RAM
160Gb Hard drive

It is driving me absolutely crazy, any help would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Adam.H, 12 January 2008 - 06:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam.H

Adam.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:17 AM

Posted Image

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:04 AM

From Microsoft:

"Code 12
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)
Recommended resolution

Two devices have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or a combination of the two). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device (for example, if a universal serial bus (USB) controller is not an interrupt from the BIOS because of a corrupted Multiprocessor System (MPS) table).

You can use Device Manager to determine where the conflict is and disable the conflicting device. On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard"
Check what the Resources tab says
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 12 January 2008 - 11:06 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Adam.H

Adam.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

From Microsoft:

"Code 12
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)
Recommended resolution

Two devices have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or a combination of the two). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device (for example, if a universal serial bus (USB) controller is not an interrupt from the BIOS because of a corrupted Multiprocessor System (MPS) table).

You can use Device Manager to determine where the conflict is and disable the conflicting device. On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard"
Check what the Resources tab says
Mark

Thanks but this doesn't work.

The trouble shooter says much the same thing but in fact on the resources tab of the non functioning device it simply says that 'This device is not functioning and is not using any resources' or something very like that. Therefore no other devices have any conflicts listed.

I did work through the troubleshooter but it's a waste of time as the information in it is incorrect.

I have also tried the advice to hunt down 'ghost' devices given for a very similar problem with aircard PCMCIA modems here to that end after unistalling the drivers I went through the registry and manually deleted all references to the modem and then used the trick of typing 'devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 at the command prompt before opening device manager to check for other phantom devices (all I found were 2 extra instances of my mouse) before re-starting and re-installing - but still no luck. But I can't help wondering if this maybe part of the problem as I do have a strange 'ghost' floppy disk controller that has appeared and that I don't seem to be able to get rid of.

I wonder if it's a problem with the PCI bus or PCMCIA adapter as someone else has a similar problem and my laptop also has a Ricoh adapter.

I think that this maybe a bug of some sort as I note that microsoft has created a hotfix for a similar problem with Gemplus PCMCIA 400 cards and there was a similar problem with Raytheon cards although this was fixed way back with service pack 1

It is bleeping annoying as it was all working so nicely before... :thumbsup:

Edited by Adam.H, 12 January 2008 - 01:46 PM.

#5 Adam.H

Adam.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

OK this is what I've just tried:

Completely removed the installation of the Sony Ericsson modem as above.
Disabled all the other modem and network adapters from device manager.
Reinstalled the PCI bus and PCMCIA drivers.
Deleated the 'ghost' floppy disk controller.
Rebooted into safe mode.
Deleated the 'ghost' drive again.
Installed the Sony Ericsson software.
Re-booted back into safe mode at the prompt.
Inserted the modem card and let it install.
Rebooted into normal windows again at the prompt.

Result:

'This device cannot find enough resources that it can use. (Code 12)' for the Sony Ericsson modem.
I have 'ghost' floppy disk controller listed.

And I'm pretty much out of ideas.....

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

I'm not at all knowledgeable on the subject, but are these 2 items "bridged"?
Mark
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Adam.H

Adam.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:32 AM

In the end I gave up on trying to sort this out with my system disks. Got hold of a copy of Windows XP 2007 and loaded that - it worked like a charm...
:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users