Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lsass.exe

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sir_Spectre87

Sir_Spectre87

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

Okay, so right before Christmas, I was on my laptop making a video out of some clips and some friends showed up wanting me to go with them.

I put my laptop into hibernate-mode and left. I came back a few hours later and turned it back on, but instead of loading the Logon Screen, it says "Lsass.exe - Application failed to initialize properly! (0xc0000006) Click OK to terminate this application."

After a few restarts, I called a friend of mine who's (normally) pretty good with this kinda stuff and he didn't know for sure so here I am now asking for help.

I've heard everything from Sasserworm to lack of updates

Does anyone know how to repair this without losing any my stuff?

PS: I'm not tech-savy, so I'll need a step-by-step walk-through if it's not too much trouble ://

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:31 PM

Does windows open?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sir_Spectre87

Sir_Spectre87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

it goes to that screen before the logon screen (just some random background) then it gives me that error and after that it's just my cursor and that random b/g

i cant load Safe Mode. it gives me the same error ://

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

Did you try last known good configuration?

#5 Sir_Spectre87

Sir_Spectre87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:50 PM

no, i haven't

i'll do so in a few

but what if that doesnt work either?

what about windows repair?

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:59 PM

I was just reading another forum, where one guy said it is a corrupt registry and a repair may cause your OS to become damaged. The person with the problem said she fixed it by reinstalling, but she did not specify if she repaired or just reinstalled. You need to be careful not to lose your information if it is important. A repair may work, but it could also fail and you may lose your data. I am still researching, but I know of a great site that explains how to do a repair. Just not sure if that is your best option.
He suggested doing a registry repair, but it gets a little complicated and I don't know how deep you want to go to fix this. Let me send you 3 links, one on the registry fix and the other on Windows xp repair and the other is the actual forum discussion.

Corrupt registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Here is the forum entry:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112734

Repair:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:44 AM

If the last known good configuration doesn't work I would to the repair. The tutorial that Crizz44 provided the link for will walk you through it. You might want to print it out so that you have it to work from.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 provocateur

provocateur

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:57 AM

Before you attempt any repair, it may be a good idea to remove your HD and attach it to another PC and copy the data you do not want to lose to that PC. Then attempt the repair.

#9 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

The backup would be a great idea, but you need to know what you are doing before you dig inside a laptop. So many other things could go wrong. It's so much easier in a desktop.

#10 Sir_Spectre87

Sir_Spectre87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

would it be better if I copied everything I want off it then wiped and reinstall windows?

#11 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

If you are able to copy the information, it is best to wipe it and do a clean installation. Be sure all the information you need has been saved. The repair should save all your personal data, but you never want to count on that happening. If you are able you should back up everything whether you are doing a repair or clean installation.

Most importantly, do you have the recovery CD's for the installation. If you just have a Windows XP cd, you will need to locate and install all of the drivers for your laptop.

#12 Sir_Spectre87

Sir_Spectre87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

Yes, I have the recovery CD's. I was smart enough to keep them. lol

what exactly is a clean installation?
I've heard that term used before but no one's ever explained it to me

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

A clean install is, basically, where you wipe the hard drive "clean" and then install a fresh copy of XP.
Here's a link about it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Sir_Spectre87

Sir_Spectre87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

Okay so to back up my stuff, I need to take to my hard drive and copy it elsewhere?

what do i need to do that?

I have an enclosure that has my old computers hard drive, do i Just swap it in or buy something else?

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:32 AM

Since you can't load Windows, you'll have to load some sort of an OS that can write to whatever device you choose to use to backup your stuff. CD/DVD writers are more difficult to use than external USB drives (IMO) - so I'd recommend an external drive to save your stuff to.

As for the bootable OS, it really depends on what you're comfortable with - but it will have to be capable of reading the file system on your disk (most likely NTFS). The Ultimate Boot CD, a BartPE disk, or some of the Live Linux distro's

All this presumes that there's no other problems with your disk - so you may want to run a bootable diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer to ensure that there are no other problems with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users