Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing User Name

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

Hello all.

I have a laptop, XP PRO SP2. My user name is Alan, yet I was compiling some java work the other day and instead of saying C->docs+settings->alan
It says C->docs+settings->user.

Its not a major problem, however it would be nice to have it changed.

I do not particularly want to make a new account and transfer things over to it and delete the old one.

Any ideas?
Regards,

Alan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:58 AM

When your account was first setup it had the name of "User" - then, at some point, it was changed to "Alan". Rather than change everything that references the account, Windows sticks with the original file folder name. The only way I know to fix this is:
1) Rename the Alan account to something else
2) Create a new account named Alan
3) Use this link to transfer the stuff from the old profile to the new one: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

I've tried changing the name of an account and then changing the folder name to match it (in my XP VM) and while the change appears to be allowed, it results in a new profile with the new name. The old profile doesn't appear on the login screen either - so I'd recommend not doing this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:56 AM

Those were the only two options I could think of too, looks like I'll do the 1st one, I tried the 2nd one a day or so back on a test system, resulted in an error saying its a system file can't be changed and so on.

Thanks for your help
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users