Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Crashes-debugger Dies

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kalmly

kalmly

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:32 PM

I have a problem very similar to the one described in julian06's 01/09/08 post. Windows Explorer crashes at least 1X/day. Sometimes just after Windows starts up. Even though I haven't a clue what they mean, I always look at the reports that are generated. Here is what I consistently see:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer 6.0.2900.3156 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119 Offset: 00009783

also:

The following files will be included in this error report:
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\3a68_appcompat.txt

The first 4 digits after "\Temp\" varies but the " _appcompat.txt" does not.

From time to time, including this morning, I also get DrWatson Debugger Post Mortem error messages. When this happens there is nothing for it but to manually shut down the computer-which I hate doing. I am unable to send the error report that is generated but I can read it. It always shows the same thing:

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\werbe33.dir00\drwatson32.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\appcompat.txt
(I think I got these right, I had to hand write them and I was in a hurry to see if Windows would boot.)

Whenever I open another application, my desktop icons blink off (revert to that odd little generic icon with the red and blue dots on it), hang, and then struggle back on, one or two at a time. It is usually at this point that Windows Explorer fails me.

The Explorer crashes are quite annoying. The Drwatson Debugger issues seem more serious because the whole system hangs and after having once had the awful experience of a complete system failure, I live in fear of a repeat performance.

I know the Explorer-DrWatson issues are common. A search will take you to thousands of others having the same issues. I could not find any help on Microsoft's site-or anywhere else, at least nothing that I felt someone w/my limited computer knowledge should be attempting, especially not knowing in advance whether it was a viable process. Maybe one of you can help me? us? many many others?

I have other odd happenings, but I will post them elsewhere. Yes. I have AVG. It runs every a.m. I have AVG Anti-rootkit. I run it every other day. I had Windows Defender but uninstalled it (that is another story) and I also run Ad-aware every couple of days. My OS is WindowsXp, Sp2 and my system runs on 512MG Ram. Loads of room on my hard drive.

"Thanks." she said, Kalmly.

Edited by kalmly, 11 January 2008 - 05:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_resolve_my_pro...pcompattxt.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users