Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Cleaner And Registry Fix

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jase_chiu

jase_chiu

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

I was wondering if someone can tell me which is the best free registry software which corrects errors and cleans up your registry?

Edited by jase_chiu, 11 January 2008 - 04:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:11 PM

I'm not an expert but the experts here don't recommend any registry cleaners and their advice is to stay out of the registry because you are more likely to mess up your computer than help it. They also say that this notion that cleaning the registry will improve your computer's performance is a myth. If you're having problems, there's something else going on and messing around with the registry isn't going to help.

#3 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

Check out this link:

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

That about sums it up.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

I wouldn't use a registry cleaner. Once (very stupid of me lol) i used CCleaner and in the Registry tab deleted everything that came up. When i next turn on my PC, my user account wasn't on the welcome screen! I had to go into safe mode and add a registry value to get it back.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:05 AM

maybe tell us what, if any, problems, you are having with the running of your computer then suggestions can be made for appropriate programs to sort it out

you do not mention which is your Windows version, antivirus program and what other protection are you running?

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

Reigistry cleaners, at least for the average user, can cause a lot more harm than any potential good. Avoid them like the plague.
Regards,
Joh
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 jase_chiu

jase_chiu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:23 AM

Well, judging to all the statements made by you guys I think I'd just keep away from registry cleaners. As long as It won't affect the performance of the computer I'd just leave it as it is.

Thank you guys for the trouble. Now I feel my mind is clear of the doubts I guess.

Cheers guys!!!

#9 zippy88

zippy88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:28 PM

I've been using CCleaner for about 2 months...I think it did improove a few things on my PC...and It hasn't destroyed anything. It seems about the same as using the diskcleaner...but somehow i feel like it's doing more.
You can set it not to delete certain things. You can also see what will be deleted before it's deleted.
I am not a computer expert...so..i could b set my self up for a problem...but I don't think so.

#10 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

very insightful link juha
=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users