Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joeman003

Joeman003

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

For the last year or so I haven't been able to successfully play a DVD on my computer with either realplayer OR windows media player. I keep getting an error message saying the DVD is not supported. I used to use PowerDVD but that ALSO did not work. I recently downloaded the VLC player and that opens the files but it's very jumpy and the picture is not smooth at all. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to fix WMP? It's just frustrating as to how it doesn't work!

Thanks everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

Hmm..
Are the DVDs copy protected by any chance?

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 Joeman003

Joeman003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

well...I can't say if all of them have been, but for example I tried to play the first Bourne Identity and that didn't work...and last night I tried to play the newest Harry Potter. I don't have a DVD burner drive, just a DVD-Rom drive if that makes any difference.

#4 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

if tey're copy protected it stil won't matter.
They will not play at all or properley without a certain codec
- and I my friend can help you with one of them if you like :thumbsup: ?

#5 Joeman003

Joeman003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

How do I get codecs for WMP?! Thanks so much for the help!

#6 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:27 AM

I use DVD reigon + CSS Free. Its a small program that will have your copy protected DVD's playing in no time.
This codec is virus free and free. Although when you download it, it will say its a trial version.

My 30 days aren't up so I don't know if it can still be used after trial.
If not the program is so small just download it again

If you have any problems with this please post andIll see what I can do

Happy viewing :thumbsup:

#7 Whisperwolf

Whisperwolf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:42 AM

"DVD is not supported" in my experience normally means the region is set wrongly.

Yes, DVD Region+CSS Free will correct that, but the easiest way to correct it without an external program is to make sure that your DVD drive is actually set to the correct region. You're allowed several changes to the region for every DVD drive.

Go into Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager and click the + beside DVD/CD ROM Devices. Right click on the drive and select properties. In the DVD Region tab, make sure the country you are in is selected. That will change the region accordingly.

It's worth noting that if your DVDs were purchased from outside the region you are now in, then they won't play. This is a legal restriction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users