Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Stay On...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:54 AM

Ok, so my brothers computer had the fan in the power supply box stop working a while back..It had been going down for a while, you could tell it was slowing down, it would start, and stop and start and stop. I was away from home at the time, but I told him maybe he should try cleaning it out. He said he opened the power suplpy box and wiped the dust away from the fan..but eventually it just stopped completely, so he unplugged it from the ps box and removed it. he said ever since the first time he opened the PS box (before he romved the fan) everytime he put everything back in and turned the computer on, it would start to load, and then just turn off. He told me after turning it back on 2 or 3 times it would stay on...not the case anymore. Everytime we turn it on it just turns back off. It seems like the longer we wait to turn it back on the longer it stays on. I did notice, when it turns itself off, even though all the fans inside stop, and there is no noise, on the board there is a red light that stays on. If I hold the power button in (like you would to force a shut down) the red light goes off. Only then am I able to turn the computer back on. I also had just one more small question...on the PS box, on the outside next to where the power cord plugs in, theres a little red switch. it looks like you might need a screwdriver or something to move it, what is that switch?

Edited by spiffiestpenguin, 11 January 2008 - 11:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

It definitely sounds like your Power Supply has bit the dust. Hopefully it didn't take your motherboard with it.

That little red switch is for changeing between 115 volts and 220 volts. (US or Europe)

Here is a link to a power calculator. Do the math before you buy a power supply, to make sure it is big enough.

http://www.journeysystems.com/?powercalc

Good luck.

DR

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

I agree power supply.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#4 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:24 AM

How can i tell if the motherboard went with it?

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:43 AM

The best way to test if the Motherboard has gone south as well would be to hook up another power supply. Upon booting, you should at least be able to enter BIOS.

It would be best to try it with a known good power supply that would normally be a spare. I say that because I had a tower that would burn up the power supplies within seconds of turning the unit on. I always try and have a couple of spare, good but used power supplies.

Maybe someone else would know of an easy way to check the motherboard. I know there are complexs methods that the MB companies use but I don't think you have those kind of resources.

Good luck.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 12 January 2008 - 08:43 AM.

#6 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:01 AM

Well, for now it seems to be working...I'm still going to replace the power supply since that shouldnt be happening, but he kept restarting it and it stays on now...also, it usually stays on long enough to sign on and all and then shuts down. But I will try another power supply anyways. I did have a question about replacing a power supply.. If I unhook everything from the power supply, and then plug it into the new power supply, am I going to have to re-install everything? One of the computers I got had some wires dissconnected from the PS, one of them was the hard drive, when I plugged the HD in, and turned on the computer it said I needed to register my version of windows, and I dont have the numbers since the computer was given to me..I dont want to un hook everything from my brothers computer and then not be able to re install them. Thanks for everyones help so far! I really appreciate it!

#7 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:04 AM

:thumbsup: I'm sorry but I've never heard of that affecting the Windows OS installation. I can't imagine what ELSE might have caused it either. Was there more hardware swapping, like a MotherBoard or Hard Drive? I could see that happening in a Dell or HP or one of the other biggies because some of them had "tatooed" motherboards. The BIOS contained all the info for all of the hardware by mac address, of which no two are the same. Result was when you tried to boot up, it would fault and you couldn't continue without their help.

So I wouldn't worry about getting a new power supply. Remember, be good to your computer and it will be good to you. Usually.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 12 January 2008 - 10:05 AM.

#8 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:12 PM

lol. I'm not sure if anything else was switched or not, i think it may have been built because its not a name brand or anything. I got it from an old job I worked, they got new ones and i saw the old ones sitting on the floor, so I asked what was gonna happen to them. I got lucky and they said I could have them lol. Well, that being said, do you know any way around making that hard drive work? because its also a windows xp pro. would the registration number be on the hard drive if i take it out? because its no where on the outside of the computer, ive looked everywhere. And to clarify so I know for sure, unhooking any plugs from inside the computer wont make me have to re-install any hard ware? What if I take a hard drive out of one computer and put it in another? will i need numbers to make it work?

#9 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

If you could boot up to it you could run a program that would display the Product Key.

If you can't boot up to it, you will have to wipe it clean.

Or, you might try hooking it up as a secondary hard drive. Then run the Product Key program and see what you get. It may find it if you direct it there.

Here's one:

http://software.techrepublic.com.com/downl...mp;docid=279817

Good luck.

DR

#10 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

Well, before I try the link, I CAN boot it up, but only in safe mode, can I get to the product key like that? If so how do I get there?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

You can install and run SIW System Information for Windows - http://www.gtopala.com/

Among other data, it will reflect your O/S key. Click on Licenses.

Louis

#12 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

So then I can get this on my computer if the only way I can start it is in safe mode? I thought in safe mode you couldnt put disks, floppy disks, go online or install anything?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question575.htm

I'm pretty sure you can load/install SIW in safe mode.

Louis

#14 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:45 PM

Ohh, ok thanks. Well...I ran into another problem, the one I was going to start in safe mode, to use SIW on to get the key wont turn on all of a sudden...when I start the computer nothnig happens it just beeps. I tried taking the hard drive out and putting it in a different computer, and it does the same thing...maybe im just hooking something up wrong??? :thumbsup:

#15 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

All fixed up, thanks for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users