Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moden Not Working?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:26 AM

Ok, I really have a lot of questions but ill start with just this one. I got a computer from a place I use to work. It was pretty basic when I got it, with just 128 MB of ram, a basic CD drive, floppy disk drive, and a highspeed internet port.I decided now was the time to finally start trying to learn more about computers, I took memory out of a couple other computers that were given to me and put the ram to 512 now, and need to add a few ther things to make it decent. One being a dial up modem. I have tried a couple modems, and then when I go to set up a dial up internet connection, it doesnt even make a dial tone. The modem I have in there now says its hsp56 microdem, and it says its attached to COM4. Under that modem it says theres anotherone called U.S robotics 56k, and that one says not present. I clicked properties for the hsp56 and it says this device is working properly. Do I have to do more then just insert the modem into the slot? Or does it have to be put into a certain port? I have it right above the highspeed one. I have no disks. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

It shouldnt matter which slot you put it in, unless you have a bad one. If that were the case though, device manager would be showing a problem.

Have you tried using a phone with the cable you are trying to use with your computer?

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:13 AM

Yes, its the same line I use for my other computers

#4 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

But is there a dial tone with that particular cord?

Also: I would try downloading everest everest to see if it can find any problems.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#5 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

There is a dial tone with the cord because I use that cord for my main computer all the time. I would download everest if I could but I cant get online with the computer I am installing the modem on

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

Quick question. What is the make and model of your computer? Is "hsp56 microdem" the proper spelling of the device?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:51 AM

I used the program SIW and it says its VIA technologies..not sure exactly if thats the make or model, or either, I think its a build, I got the computer from somone..The modem is a Pctel. I dont think either is HSP56 microdem, why?? Actually I just got a modem that works..strange though, its a robotec modem or something, and it works in this computer, but it didnt in a different computer i tried a while back...and the PCtel modem I have been trying to use doesnt seem to work in the computer I was having problems with..I'm wondering if maybe some modems just dont work in some computers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users