Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Memory Only Reading 256mb In Winxp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 savagerose

savagerose

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:00 AM

I am trying to upgrade the memory in a dell dimension B110. It had a 256mb pc3200 ddr 400mhz module installed and I added a 512mb pc3200 ddr 400mhz module. The bios shows both memory cards installed at single module showing 758mb total, but when you check installed memory using aida32 under winxp, it shows only 256mb using 86%. When you check in aida under the spd, it shows both memory cards installed and their correct amount.

I checked with the dell manual for this system before installing the 512mb to be sure it could use a seperate single module and it says it can. I even used a memory configurator when ordering the memory to be sure I was getting the correct memory for this model.

Why won't the OS recognize the correct amount of installed memory?

Edited by savagerose, 11 January 2008 - 10:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:28 AM

the manual sort of supports what you are saying but warns against mixing sticks and buying from someone else

what configurator and what actual ram did you buy?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 savagerose

savagerose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:31 AM

Actually, thanks for trying to help, but I just solved it. I had tried to reset cmos, but it didn't work. I took out the battery and left it out for 10 minutes. I reinstalled battery and reset configurations under bios and am now receiving the full 758mb in winxp. Just thought I'd add my solution in case someone else has a similar problem.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

on older systems you had to go into bios and save changes for the same thing?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users