Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harmony Remote Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JudahFirst

JudahFirst

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

Hi guys!

I'm in a mess of my own doing and I need some help! First a couple of questions:

1. Earlier in the week I ran a CClean to the registry and saved a backup. Does this save the entire registry or just the things I deleted? If it's the entire registry, how do I get that back?

2. I uninstalled my Harmony Remote software through the control panel, but then kept finding it on the system (even after a restart) and so deleted what I found. Will doing a system restore bring the program back? (That may be all I need to fix my problem.)

Okay, so I uninstalled Harmony and now every time I start my computer I get this stupid windows installer message trying to find the harmony stuff. I have deleted everything my system could find having to do with the program, so this morning I went into the registry. I know, bad idea. I was frustrated, what can I say? I started searching for "harmony" and found like 7 (and counting) values and started deleting them. I have stopped now and I know there are more of these. They come under the following heading:

InprocServer32 REG_MULTI_SZ and then a bunch of gibberish with "HarmonyApplication" in there somewhere. Please tell me I haven't screwed my system up for good! (What an idiot. :thumbsup: ) Oh, I neglected to tell you that I haven't been able to get my computer to run a system restore since I installed a WD external HD. I have tried in the past unsuccessfully. Also, I ran a HijackThis log just to see if I could find the Harmony Remote crap and didn't see anything (didn't delete anything there either, but I guess that I've messed things up by going into the registry - can you tell that I don't need to be yelled at about this?!? lol)

Okay, any help would be appreciated.

I almost forgot - I'm running Windows XP Professional, Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. Can't remember if that's all the info. you'll need.

Blessings,
JF

Edited by JudahFirst, 11 January 2008 - 08:39 AM.

For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.

- 1 Timothy 4:10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

If you double click on the CCleaner backup file (it has a .reg extension) it will return your registry to its original state.

Use AutoRuns to see if there are any remains of Harmony in your startups.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 JudahFirst

JudahFirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:54 AM

Budapest,

Thanks so much for the lightning quick response! Unfortunately, I tried double clicking on my saved CC file backup and it won't open. It does not have a .reg extension. I didn't change the name, but I did put the date on the back end of it. Any other ideas?

JF

P.S. After I restarted my computer, I no longer have the windows installer error coming up so somewhere in all those reg deletes I succeeded. I'm still afraid of the gliches to come!

P.P.S. I remembered after I posted the first time that I made a backup of my system when I first installed my WD external HD. I wonder if restoring that would solve my problems (and create new ones?!?)
For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

What was the CCleaner file called before you renamed it?

It should look something like this: "cc_20080111_1800.reg"
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 JudahFirst

JudahFirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

Budapest,

I left the name the same but added the date I cleaned it. I just went in, deleted the date, put .reg on the end of the file name and it opened right up! I have reinstalled it now. I sure hope that works! Thanks so much for your help. I will go and do the other task you recommended now.

Peace,
JF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users