Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Monitor's Refresh Rate Produces Anomaly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Damaru

Damaru

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:06 AM

Changing my CRT monitor's refresh rate from 60Hz to 70Hz produces a shifted desktop image (i.e., the desktop image is no longer centered on the screen), and changing it from 60Hz to 75Hz produces a `postcard-sized' image of my desktop with a plain blue border. Because the options for the higher refresh rates are available under Advanced Display Properties, I'm guessing my system can handle them...in theory. Any helpful hints?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:20 AM

Hello,

There should be an option there that says hide modes my device can't display. select this and the ones that are left you should be able to use,
Try setting the desktop background to stretch and try altering the resolution settings, note the settings first so you can revert back if you need to.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Damaru

Damaru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:17 AM

Hi nigglesnush85,

Thanks a lot for your response...

Yep, that option is ticked and I still have 70Hz and 75Hz available as options in the drop-down list...

I'm pretty sure that the plain blue border isn't due to my wallpaper settings as the taskbar, desktop icons, visible windows, and sidebars are all in perfect scale with the wallpaper image.

When the `postcard' version of my desktop first popped up I thought about using the manual controls on my monitor to zoom it up to full size but decided against it as I'd never heard of this being necessary.

I'm used to having `weird' problems that are peculiar to me and my system...guess this is another one to add to the list.

Thanks for trying! :thumbsup:

Damaru

Edited by Damaru, 11 January 2008 - 09:27 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

Did you try rebooting after the change ?

Louis

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

Also it could be down to the drivers, what graphics chip does the system have?
Regards,

Alan.

#6 Damaru

Damaru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:06 AM

Hi Louis,

No I didn't...I see the note there on the General tab saying some programs will not work properly without a restart, but (as is often the case), the phraseology was a little too ambiguous for me to feel confident in my interpretation... E.g., it wasn't clear to me whether the note applied to changes made from ANY tab of the Advanced Display Properties dialogue, or only to changes made from the tab where the note occurs. Also, I wasn't sure if changing the refresh rate of my monitor really qualified as a "program" or not... When I can't puzzle something out, I tend to err on the side of caution. :thumbsup:

If you think it would be safe to try rebooting after I get the display anomaly, I will give it a go.

Nigglesnush85,

Hmm, would this be `S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR'? This is listed as a `Display Adapter' in Belarc Advisor's system readout and is the name of the only component listed under System Information > Components > Display on my computer.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Edited by Damaru, 12 January 2008 - 02:07 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

It can never hurt to reboot after making system changes of any sort (which are completed).

...and the video drivers could be corrupt. The projected cure would be to uninstall those (using Device Manager) and then install the same drivers or an updated version.

Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html

Louis

#8 Damaru

Damaru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:11 AM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for that excellent link! :thumbsup:

A reboot after changing my monitor's refresh rate and getting the display anomaly didn't solve the problem, so I'm guessing (based on the advice offered in this thread) that it's the drivers.

Should be a snap to get them updated once I have a few spare minutes to spend on a minor computer project.

Best regards,

Damaru

Edited by Damaru, 16 January 2008 - 08:25 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:23 AM

Give us some feedback after you try the drivers...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users