Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Livewyr7

Livewyr7

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:53 PM

BUT NO SOUND

I can't access volume control (i can chit the application all i want and nothing happens)

Sound recorder tells me tehre is no playback or recording device...even though i have my Sound driver installed and funtioning.

I just spent 4 hours going through ever .ini/.inf file on my computer looking for damaged critical files and nothing

the only advice i've gotten is to completely wipe my OS (Win98SE) and reformat and that is not an option ( i don't have disk...just a win98SE upgrade disk for win95)

HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:35 PM

Hi Livewyr.

Right click on My Computer>Properties>Device Manager. Does anything say unknown with an exclamation point?

Do a search for sndvol or sndvol32. Anything found?

Do you even have the volume control icon in the bottom right corner next to the time? If not, it can be found (hopefully in Win98SE the same way as WinME but I don't know for sure) by Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment.

This is not a reason to reformat. It might take some patience but we can find the sound again. I wouldn't 'crash' the system OR replace Win98SE because the sound can't be found. That's insane. But that's my opinion and glad we agree there.

#3 Livewyr7

Livewyr7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:59 PM

yeh i found SNDVOL32 and its cousin..(i have them on Desktop)

but the problem is i can click on it and click on it and click on it and it doesn't open or do anything for that matter...

Properties says its there and fine and dandy...but it won't open in ny way shape or form

and as for the driver i loaded it and reloaded it and reloaded it

its there and has no issues..its running perfeectly and operating with no errors or anything but my computer says i have no playback system (and obviously i have no sound)

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:39 PM

Please check this link to see how it applies to you. If nothing else, try the DirectX plan (uninstall, reinstall), but look to see what you are willing and able to do. The problem is quite similar to yours.

Also, read this.

Post back with results.

#5 Livewyr7

Livewyr7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:46 PM

I saw those problems...but the difference is...they had something to go on..

a improper function indicator or that it works in some cases...

My symtoms are:
no sound (obviously)

Device Manager says that the device is installed and working properly with no conflicts.

SNDVOL32 is existent in Windows...but the program will not open or react.

SNDRCD (sound recorder) says that there is no playback device installed and has the "preferred device" box, grey and off limits to selection

I have check every .ini & .inf file for damage (took about 4 hours) and nothing came up.

wdmaud.drv & wdmmdmld.vxd are both in working condition

And the most INTERESTING thing is...

that every file pertaining to sound has been accessed up-to-date they're being accessed...just nothing...

btw: i am using

Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)

(which worked until onetime i restarted computer)

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

I'm making the assumption that this is onboard sound on a VIA chipset. I'll throw out a couple of possibilities: 1) Your onboard sound has croaked. 2) The driver you keep re-installing is corrupted. 3) The jack on the back of your computer is either in the wrong plug or partially pulled out. (Hey, it's a long shot, but certainly been known to happen.) :thumbsup:

#7 Livewyr7

Livewyr7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:29 PM

I checked all those...

And yes its Onbaord VIA

but i refuse to believe its croaked!!!! I won't have that...NO!

So anyways...

#8 richie78

richie78

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

I'm having the same problem with my Sound on my computer. My motherboard is a M7MKE with a VIA chipset that controls the sound, and I'm using the ME OS..

Like you, I have tried everything that I can think of to execute the SNDVOL32.EXE program, but no success. When I go to the control panel and access the Sounds and Media, the sound volume cursor and the checkbox to place the sound icon on the systray in the SOUND screen are muted, and non responsive to the mouse clicks.

I've tried to execute the SNDVOL32.EXE program directly, but like you, nothing. I'm beginning to believe that the VIA chip that controls the sound output has failed. Can anyone explain how I can check the VIA chip to determine if it has failed or not? If there is no way to do this, then any comments on how can I determine that our problem is with the VIA chip or the SNDVOL32.EXE program?

#9 fheiinve

fheiinve

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:13 AM

Do you try the steps below ?
1. uninstall you sound device.
2. click on check new device.
3. reinstall it.

#10 richie78

richie78

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:03 PM

Do you try the steps below ?
1. uninstall you sound device.
2. click on check new device.
3. reinstall it.

No I haven't tried this, primarily because I'm not aware of how to go about it. Can you explain to me what's involved in uninstalling an on-board device, and what I can expect to happen? Is it likely that I will lose some of my computers capability and not be able to recover?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users