Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Minimum Specification

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 geoffo

geoffo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:06 AM

I am considering downloading Firefox as an alternative to IE5.5, but wonder if it will run on my PC. I have a Dell XPS R450 Pentium II with 128mb 100mhz sdram memory - operating system is Windows 98.

Also could I ask, if I don't like Firefox, am I able to revert back to my current version of internet explorer. I know during installation it asks which browser you wish to become the default browser, but I was worried if anything is changed in the IE settings that will make it a problem to use again.

Thanks,

Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:46 AM

Hello,

Have a look at this page, it is the minimum requirements for firefox http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/syste...quirements.html
If you don't like it, its easy to remove, I think the problem you are refering to is default browser, when you start it up, it will ask would you like to make it the dafault, click no until you are have made a decision.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 geoffo

geoffo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:14 AM

Hello,

Have a look at this page, it is the minimum requirements for firefox http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/syste...quirements.html
If you don't like it, its easy to remove, I think the problem you are refering to is default browser, when you start it up, it will ask would you like to make it the dafault, click no until you are have made a decision.

Thanks niggles for that link, looks lke I'm ok on minimum specification.

What I meant by the install question was whether it affected IE at all. I mean, can you by choice use Firefox one day and IE the next?

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:45 AM

The simple answer to your question is a deffinate yes.
firefox or FF for short is an independent program, it installs and leaves internet explorer completely untouched.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

Indeed,

In FF, go to tools/options and in the "system defaults" section, check the box that reads "Always check to see if FF is the default browser at start up". Your IE version must have a similar option. The question will be asked of you everytime you open either of the browsers.

You can also set your Homepage from that screen.

DO research FF as you will see a plethora of goodies. My most recent "favorite" is an Add-On called "Ad-Block"
which...er....blocks many, many Ads.....lol ...even the Banner Ads. You will love it if you have dial-up.

And the additional security it affords you is priceless.

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:53 PM

I have FF set as my default browser, but if for some reason I need to use IE, I just click the IE shortcut on my desktop to use it.

Actually, with FF there are extensions you can install to switch a site you're on in FF to open in IE, but since you're new to FF, I don't want to overwhelm you. I'm older and truthfully, it took me a couple of years to finally get comfortable with doing all the personal tweaking to FF. I'd install it, tear my hear out for a month or so trying to find out how to make it do things like IE did, and take it off. A few months later, I'd install it and try again. It's great to be able to customize a browser with only the stuff you need and want. It took this old dog awhile to learn new tricks, but there's no going back for me now.

Edit: OH, there's one thing I just thought of that would be good for you to know. FF will take a bit longer to open than IE, especially once you get several extensions installed. That's because a lot of IE is integrated into Windows and already started in the background, so to speak. But once FF is loaded, it's off and running.

Edited by mommabear, 11 January 2008 - 02:57 PM.

#7 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

Firefox isn't very hard on system resources so you shouldn't have any trouble meeting the minimum specifications.
And mommabear has a point: if you have several extentions installed it will take a little bit longer to open. But it still remains light on the system (well form what Ive found)

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#8 geoffo

geoffo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

The things in favour of FF seem overwhelming and I shall install it tomorrow. I was afraid that once installed, I might not be able to go back to IE if some important sites didn't respond e.g. bank and I was left with no access. Yes, I do have dialup and I was wondering if it was going to be any slower - in loading websites I mean - I understand that actually loading FF in the first place will take longer. Thanks for all the replies.

Geoff

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:48 PM

It should be fine, you will be able to switch between the two browsers anytime you want. as 1Bart said, if you get the right Adblocker, sites will load much faster than normal.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

Im a dial up user too geoffo and it is no slower in terms of loading pages. I actually find it faster than IE :flowers:

And AdBlocker works a treat ad blocking adds and it speeds up loading pages because it isnt loading adds :thumbsup:

Edited by Teenage.Zombiee, 11 January 2008 - 03:51 PM.

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

I also find Ff much faster to load pages than IE, although others don't. It certainly is far superior, once you get used to it, than IE6 (and 7, for that matter).
Don't hesitate to post questions about Ff here, since there are many almost passionate Ff users here!
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 geoffo

geoffo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

Im a dial up user too geoffo and it is no slower in terms of loading pages. I actually find it faster than IE :flowers:

And AdBlocker works a treat ad blocking adds and it speeds up loading pages because it isnt loading adds :thumbsup:

Well I've downloaded and installed Firefox today - been experimenting over 2 hours now and it seems so much better than Ie - epecially as I had IE5.5 - they stopped providing security updates for that yonks ago. I've d/l and installed java and that works fine also (although I see it doesn't work on IE now, but that doesn't matter, FF is much better). I'm so grateful for all the help I've been given on this forum - thanks. What I am keen on is the AdBlocker that you mention. Where do I find that please? Someone implied I had a choice - if so, which one works best?

Geoff

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:00 PM

To get adblock, you can find it here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865 also the site has loads of addons for firefox, Just remember if you install too many, you will find the speed of FF will get slower.
Regards,

Alan.

#14 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

After installing AdblockPlus, you'll need to install a filter. Adblock has some listed it it's preferences. Somewhere along the line I read about this filter and installed it. It's good.

Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.1.3

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1136

#15 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

This is sort of off topic but does anyone know of a free adblocker for Opera?
As well as a site advisor sort of thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users