Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up A Home Network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 funky_beats06

funky_beats06

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:01 AM

Hi,

I'm a newbie to networking.i want to set up a small LAN with three(or 2) computers.All computers have ethernet adapter cards installed.Basically, this network is to b used just for multiplayer gaming.i dont want the other computers to share my internet connection.Now,i want to know wat exactly do i need to buy for:-

1)all the 3 computers on LAN,and
2) only 2 computers on LAN.

Kindly give me all the steps that r to b done,from the hardware installation to the stage when all computers r ready for multiplayer games.

Thanx. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:16 AM

Well if you dont want to share internet speed while you are gaming, i would suggest a gigabit gaming router. These routers forward most signal to which ever PC is playing online games. IF you dont want that route, pay for 2 different cable modems lol.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:23 AM

its the same for 2 and 3 PCs.

Get a Linksys Router, wireless or not, and u need some Straight -Through cabled UTPs.

Now connect the Internet Connection to the internet port on the router, and the other PCs to the router.

now in the router u can set a rule that allow only ur PC to access the internet,and allowing all the PC's to see eachother to have a LAN game.

setting this up depends on the brand of the router.

If u decide to purshase one, let me know and i might help step by step.

cheers.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#4 funky_beats06

funky_beats06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:07 AM

could u also suggest me other brands for the router,so dat it diversifies my selection.

and if u cud plz tell me ,wat is a utp?and how to recognise thes typa cables,u know while buying.

btw,thnx a lot ,to Gavinseabrook and Wassim , for ur concern.

#5 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:12 AM

There is Belkin, SMC, D-link, Net Gear..... and i personally prefer the Linksys coz i am used to its settings and configuration and its really good brand.

a UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) cable is the ordinary network cable that we all know.When you go to buy one ask for a CAT 5 UTP get several ones each many meters depending on the distance of the PCs and let them set them up for u as Straight Through cabling.

Than you will be ready to set up the network.

Notify me when ur done shoping ;)

cheers.

Edited by Wassim, 13 January 2008 - 11:13 AM.

"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users