Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Sp2c Oem For System Builders

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 loccrash1big

loccrash1big

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:31 AM

Hi all,

New to the site. Looks good.

I'm pretty new to building comps and I'm finding that most of the time things work pretty well....and then theres that one lil glitch.

So...I'm on about my 6th build when I open the OS package to find a note about changing images in windows. Images? When I go to register my version of windows I see 33 characters but only 25 spaces. So I call Microsoft. They don't know what I'm talking about. I go to the microsoft web site and read this:

In September 2007, Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2c (SP2) was made available to system builders to resolve the shortage of Windows XP product keys.

In November 2007, Windows XP Professional SP2c was re-released to resolve localization issues with certain screens.

SP2c Release Resolves Shortage of Windows XP Product Keys
Due to the longevity of Windows XP Professional, it has become necessary to produce more product keys for system builders in order to support the continued availability of Windows XP Professional through the scheduled system builder channel end-of-life (EOL) date of January 31, 2009.

Critical Action Item:
System builders who use imaging must create new Windows XP Professional images with Service Pack 2c when shipping Service Pack 2c product keys; otherwise end users will not be able to complete installation.

SP2c Features and Requirements
There are no other features or fixes included in this service pack; it will only allow for the inclusion of additional product keys. When using SP2c product keys, system builders must:

* Use the product keys with SP2c media.
* Create new images from SP2c to accommodate the new product keys. A hotfix will not be provided.

So I call microsoft back and read this to them and they still don't know what I'm talking about, so they validate my version of windows and issue me a new product code key. WOW.

I don't know why new egg sent me this version, I thought I ordered the retail version.

I build computers for a hobby. Mostly for family. ..and here I sit with two more copies of SP2c oem for system builders, without a clue for what their talking about.

Anyone care to shine a little light on this for me? Am I going to be able to use this version of windows?

Thanks a bunch!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:01 AM

Seems to me that Newegg should have received a phone call, not Microsoft.

An OEM version is a far cry from a retail version, in some ways (support, EULA).

Louis

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:35 PM

I agree with hamluis, it seems like you should talk to newegg, for two reasons:

If you expected a retail version, an OEM version doesn't give the same license transfer rights. OEM is tied to the system it is originally installed and activated on, and the license expires when that installation is retired (ie when the computer is decommissioned, you can't re-use the OS and re-activate it on a new computer). A retail version can be removed from the first system it is used on, and the license transferred to and activated again on a subsequent computer. So if you ordered and paid for retail, you should get retail.

The reference to an image need not concern you, that's for when a volume builder copies a prepared partition image onto bulk hard drives, then sends un-opened OS packages with the systems. The matching type of image must be used according to what type of license key the owner is going to have to enter according to the package that comes with their system.

The second reason, what seems to be the problem with your license key, as it says in your quote:

"When using SP2c product keys, system builders must:

* Use the product keys with SP2c media."

Was your OS package a single shrink-wrapped pack, or did you receive a COA License pack and a separate CD? It seems like you have been supplied an SP2c product key but not SP2c media to match the license. However, once your license has been accepted as valid and you have been issued an alternative key by Microsoft, and the OS has been activated, that should not be a problem - because it's OEM it can't be transferred to another system anyway.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users