Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting Xp In Dos Formet?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sanketcool

sanketcool

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

hey can we start windows xp in dos format????
plz help me... i want to know...
we can start windows95 or 98 in dos format as we get option restart in ms-dos format....
but any trick 4 windows xp????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:31 AM

Insert your Windows XP CD. Upon the Setup menu, click R for Recovery Console. This will take you to a c:\ Prompt. Take it from there :thumbsup:

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:04 AM

I should point out that the Recovery Console is not DOS. Windows XP does not include MS-DOS at all and the recovery console should only be used for recovery purposes (actually, that's all it can be used for as most other operations will fail).

As I said, Windows XP does not include DOS. Earlier versions of Windows (95, 98, ME, etc.) were based on MS-DOS and therefore allowed the user to reboot into DOS mode. THis function no longer exists in XP.

If you want, you can use the NT command line much like the old DOS prompt. To access it, click on your Start button and click on Run... In the Run... box type cmd and press Enter.

Further reading: NT Command Line

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

Installing (or converting) XP to FAT32 works. Which is why I've switched. All it takes is a 98 floppy boot disk.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:32 AM

Just for some further confusion - go to Start...Run...and type in "command" (without the quotes) and press Enter
You'll get a window that states that it's DOS

Also, when booting into Safe Mode you can select the option for Safe Mode Command Prompt (or something similar) - which will get you to the CMD.EXE command interpreter. Dunno if it's possible to launch the COMMAND interpreter this way tho'.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users