Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With New Build

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dilirah

dilirah

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:28 AM

My new build is:
Biostar K8M800 Micro AM2 board
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+
one stick DDR2-667 1Gig ram
SATA hard drive

When I turn on the computer, I get one beep, and the screen that says Hit [del] to enter setup. No amount of hitting Del will get me into BIOS setup, and nothing else happens. The computer just hangs there. I discovered that I can enter setup if I disconnect my SATA drive, and then when I exit setup, everything seems normal until Windows setup discovers there is no hard drive attached.

I don't understand why having a SATA drive attached causes things to hang. I hope someone can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:45 AM

Have you tried a different SATA input? Most boards have more than one.

If it turns out you have a bad SATA input, you should be entitled to a replacement MB.

I hope this helps.

DR

#3 dilirah

dilirah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:44 AM

I have tried both SATA inputs, and the problem is the same with both. I am using a cable that came with another mobo, so when I get time today I'll try using the cable that came with this board. Don't know if that might make a difference, but you never know.

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

Is there some where in bios that lets you select between IDE and SATA?
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

sounds like a bad sata hard drive?

or a very bad cable
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

that southbridge is sata1, if your hard drive is sata 2 ytou might have to jumper it to sata 1 mode??
Chewy

#7 dilirah

dilirah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

OK. So, some of the problem was me. I accidentally had BIOS SATA mode set to IDE instead of RAID (because I have only one drive). Switching modes to RAID allows me to enter BIOS setup with the drive plugged into the board.

Now my problem is with windows setup. I have created a driver diskette from Biostar's website for the board and hit F6 dring install to load 3rd party drivers. The first time I tried to re-install windows, it found the hard drive. Something didn't work as expected, so I had to start the setup process over, and this time the drive was not found. I tried again a couple times and the same thing: no drive found. So I turned off the computer for about and hour and then tried again. It found the hard drive, but when setup needed to reboot after copying files, everything went back to square one. No hard drive found.

Now, I had this drive attached to my old board, and working, but sometimes (10-25% of the time) the drive was not found during boot and I would have to reboot.

The only thing I can think of is that my 500W power supply isn't big enough to deal with everything. I have a CDR/W, DVDR/CDR/W, floppy, AGP video card, and SATA HDD attached to the power supply. Is that my problem, or is there something else I'm doing wrong, or need to try?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:03 PM

sounds like a power supply that's dying? but there's a square 4 connect for power to the motherboard, you do have that hooked up?
Chewy

#9 dilirah

dilirah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

yes, it's hooked up.

#10 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:11 AM

Try this place to calculate your power requirements:

http://www.journeysystems.com/?powercalc

DR

#11 dilirah

dilirah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

Well, my power supply seems to be big enough for everything.

I just decided to give up on the SATA drive. I don't know if the problem was with my drive, or with the board, or both. It could also have been bad floppy disks causing erros with the SATA driver install. But to save time and money, I just pulled out an old Ultra ATA drive and plugged it into my IDE port. No problems now. I don't imagine I'll see much difference in speed considering what I upgraded from.

Thanks for everyone's help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users