Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duel Booting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:27 AM

Having purchased a new computer running Windows XP, I would like to be able to also run it on Windows 98. I'm told this is easily done in a book obviously written by someone with a lot more knowledge about computers than myself. So how do you do this? and as my computer is an emachine, it has loading disks that are purely for that make of computer. To load Windows XP with these disks wipes the hard drive clean, so it would seem to me that Windows 98 could not be loaded first. So can it be done and how?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:32 AM

Simple answer: No
I have 1 computer on my network that dual boots WinME and WinXP
Windows XP Pro will install a bootloader to select between the 2 operating systems. As far as I know this can NOT be done with emachines (Dell,Gateway,HP,Compaq) rescue CD's as they only contain an image for backup purposes and not the actual Windows setup. I don't believe dual boot is an option on WinXP Home edition.

Complex answer: Yes
Add a second hard drive for Win98 and a 3rd party bootloader (perhaps your BIOS already has a bootloader feature?....mine does)

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users