Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Laptop Ram Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jbone80

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with the standard 1GB of ram, I wanna upgrade it to 4GB, and the ram I'm looking at is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145193

I'm fairly sure that this ram is compatible for the notebook, but want to make sure, also, is there any better brands or deals I should look at? I always hear that corsair is good

I know about 32bit limitations, and still want 4GB anyways, mostly because I know I'll get at least 3.5~gigs usable
Price doesn't matter too much, but don't go for anything insane if somethings better and off newegg would be preferable if you find something better, I love their service.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:30 AM

Corsair is a reliable chip. I am still using mine. I say go for it!

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,252 posts
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:36 AM

You can go to corsair.com and use the memory configurator to be sure the ram will work. It will tell you what works in your computer and then go to newegg and get what you want... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,166 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Most all major manufacturers have a life time warranty, and most all have a means of entering the specifics of you computer or motherboard to suggest modules that you been tested with their products. Most any of these companies will work for you application, if you are going to overclock then you will want to purchase module that are better suited to this application like Crucial's Ballistix line.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:58 AM

Here's the Crucial link for it: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...Inspiron%201520

Looks like the NewEgg stuff will work. Be advised that 32 bit versions of Windows will not recognize the entire 4 gB - and that there are issues known to occur with too much memory (mostly with DMA transfers). I suspect that the older the motherboard BIOS and chipset are, the more likely that these issues will occur.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users