Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung Sata Dvd Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 woejipums

woejipums

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

I just bought a SATA DVD drive replacing an old IDE one, and it's the only DVD drive that I have. Everything is hooked up correctly physically...the computer shows two DVD drives when you look in windows explorer though. It shows DVD-RAM(E:) and DVD DRIVE(F:). My problem is that neither drive recognizes any DVD's or CD's that I put into the drives. When i put in a DVD and double click either drive, the computer hangs and has to be restarted. I looked in BIOS and the drive shows up under SATA controllers, but will not work for anything. The install CD that came with the POS does not work either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hello,

Are the jumpers on the back set up correctly? also is your motherboard an ASUS by any chance?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

some motherboards do not support sata dvd drives, the ones that do take the right combination of bios settings and drivers, and then there is a grey area where some drives work on some motherboards

it's really a mess, the best thing to do is post what motherboard, what chipset the sata is hooked to and what the sata drive is

sata dvd drives have no jumpers
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 woejipums

woejipums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:45 PM

Sorry for being vague...i am turning into the Hulk over here...MB is an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe. I currently have a SATA HD hooked up to the first SATA port and hooked up the DVD drive into the second one. The Bios recognizes both...what's confusing me the most is that device manager is showing the two DVD drives when i only have one hooked up right now. One of the devices is the right one...it says TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N and the other one says WF933Y UJE903P SCSI CD ROM DEVICE.

Also, windows will not boot if i restart the computer with a disk in the drive...but when i take the disk out it starts fine. I tried to upgrade the firmware via the internet...but no drivers are offered by Samsung yet.

Edited by woejipums, 10 January 2008 - 08:46 PM.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

sata dvd drives have no jumpers

You are correct. I was refering to SATA HDDs. Sorry I was thinking two steps ahead of myself.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

WF933Y UJE903P SCSI CD ROM DEVICE.

after looking at a thousand or so burn logs, I would assume that's a virtual drive you have mounted(game image) etc

they don't play nice with any computer, you are trying to fool a game and in so doing will fool a lot of windows stuff
Chewy

#7 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:10 AM

can you boot off of the cd???

i have a sata burner as well, but it hasnt malfunctioned on me so my input wont really help :thumbsup:

try moving the drive to a different sata controller...

goodluck
=)

#8 woejipums

woejipums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

Yeah, I have tried to un-mount that drive...and to no avail. I can boot normally...unless there is a disk in the drive, in which case the light on the drive just flashes and the computer never boots into windows. I am going to dive into the motherboard manual when i get home, and hopefully find the golden ticket. I am pretty sure all of my settings on the MB are correct, though because my HD is SATA and works just fine. How do you change the controller? The only setting in bios that I saw having to do with the controller was the RAID controller. Thanks!

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

I am downloading the manual but afaik that sil chipset for your raid controller does not support sata dvd drives
Chewy

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

which sata connections did you use the sil or the nvidia?
Chewy

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

The fact that you cannot boot from that optical drive...seems to say that you don't have support for such, IMO. That is, provided that you changed the BIOS boot options to reflect/include the optical drive as the 1st boot option.

As long as the hard drive is set to #1, it will boot from the hard drive. It should not make any difference at all whether media is in the optical drive or not when booting from the hard drive.

Does the system BIOS (not the RAID BIOS) reflect the hard drive and optical drive correctly? Both should be seen as masters on the two SATA channels while nothing should be seen on IDE controller.

Louis

#12 woejipums

woejipums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:31 AM

could it be trying to boot from the DVD thinking that it's a hard drive when i have a disk in it? I have 8 SATA connections on my motherboard Chewy...there are 4 for RAID and 4 generic SATA. I am using the NON-raid plugs. Louis, both the HD and the DVD are showing up as masters on the SATA channels and there is nothing on the IDE.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

I think you're missing the point...

Just because the drive is reflected properly in the BIOS as being attached to a SATA controller...doesn't mean anything other than the connection is recognized. That won't necessarily make the drive function properly in an O/S at all...the BIOS just reflects the physical relationship.

The operational relationship depends on two things: drivers and support from the O/S. Drivers depend on motherboard support to function properly, if no motherboard support...all can appear to be well, but things won't work.

The only analogy I can think of was the situation as it used to exist with large hard drives. I could attach a 500GB hard drive to a system and it would appear in the BIOS...but not all of that drive would necessarily be recognized by Windows (before SP1) because of the 137GB limitation.

I can't say that this is your problem, but I looked at the specs for that board and it said it supported SATA hard drives, not a word about SATA optical drives.

Just my guesswork, based on all that's been posted so far.

Louis

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

is nvraid enabled in your bios?
Chewy

#15 woejipums

woejipums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

i tried it with nvraid enabled and without. There are SATA 4 ports though that are associated w/NV raid and I am not hooked up to them so i don't think it makes a difference. I did try on them also...i have tried on every SATA port. I believe i am giving up on the SATA idea and just going to Tiger to get a damn IDE...so much for industry standards i guess. That's what I get for thinking if you had a SATA port, you could hook up a SATA device. Thanks guys...i think this one is closed with no resolution other than a Samsung SATA DVD drive does not work with A8n SLI Delux motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users