Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash - Changing Information

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

Hi,

Ive got myself a little project where im creating a web page for a band, entirely in flash.

I want to have a page with information about upcoming gigs and stuff. so i would need the information to be changable easily.

Is there a way to change the information without modifying the actual .fla file it was made in?

I was thinking something like, the flash program draws the information from a text file located in my ftp or something, or maybe even from the HTML file itself, and places it where i say with actionscript.

Now i dunno if that's possible, but hey its worth a shot. Just would make it so much easier if i could change the information without opening macromedia flash all the time..

Or what about, an admin login page, where an administrator logs in, would it be possible to give permissions to edit the swf/flv files text ?

Im confusing myself so i'll leave it to the experts, good luck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

Hi Sp0nge,

It's great that you've got a site-building gig for a band, but I'd urge you to reconsider making it entirely of Flash. Here's a BC thread I participated in recently on that very subject. Now try to imagine threads like this appearing every 6 months or so in all kinds of forums around the world, and you'll get an idea of how annoying such sites can be to people, not to mention how difficult they are to access for those on slow dialup.

How about just using it to post a really exciting short video of the band -- something so intriguing that folks just have to go to a concert or buy a DVD?

Whichever route you take, I do wish you all the best with the site.

#3 Sp0nge

Sp0nge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

hmm thanks for the input dialer.

i would much rather not make it entirely flash also, because im not too experience in it. But it's the customers wish. I see now that its not too popular either among viewers

maybe if i made the header/navbar flash, and flash photo gallery or something:)

That would solve my problem aswell haha ill have a talk to them.

Cheers!

Sp0nge

Edited by Sp0nge, 11 January 2008 - 12:20 AM.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:57 AM

I was thinking something like, the flash program draws the information from a text file located in my ftp or something, or maybe even from the HTML file itself, and places it where i say with actionscript.

That is almost exactly how dynamic web pages are done, except in most cases the data is pulled from a database. It does not have to be though. You could easily design a text file to hold your information, and then when the page is rendered, it could get the information that it needs from the file. I do not use flash or actionscript, so I do not know what file reading capabilities, or control structure abilities they have, but it should not be too bad to pull off.

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

maybe if i made the header/navbar flash, and flash photo gallery or something:)

That would solve my problem aswell haha ill have a talk to them.

You're welcome, Sp0nge.

I'd recommend against the navbar being done in flash, because a lot of non-Flash users wouldn't be able to use it. The most important thing about a site is to make it as easy as possible for visitors to navigate it and stay there for a while. So what you want is a combo of easy, intuitive navigation and great content.

You're already coming up with some creative solutions, so I'm sure you'll be able to make suggestions that will win over your clients. :thumbsup:

#6 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

Dynamic text is really easy and it allows you to not even have to open the .fla file at all. You just change the .txt file and then upload it and it'll change the text in your flash file.

Dynamic Text help

That above site will explain how to use it. If you have any further questions on it, please feel free to ask. :flowers:

Now, as far as designing a site completely in flash, it depends on what your client is going for. Even though a completely flash site can be bothersome, it is also very popular. More and more people are moving towards using flash in their web sites. Youtube is a big example.

It depends of course on what they want. If they want nothing more special that what you can do with HTML/CSS then I'd recommend using CSS. You could use dynamic text in areas they want changed constantly or like you mentioned, a neat header, with their name that does some kind of interesting animation. Flash sites, like I have mentioned are on an up and up, mostly because of the things you can do, animation wise, with Actionscript, so inform your clients that if they want Flash specifically, to ask what they want flash to do. What are they expecting to see? Just to make sure that spending all of your time creating a site that wouldn't be much more special than a regular site created out of HTML/CSS which would cause people to wait, regardless of time, to load just to see something they could normally see on any other site.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users