Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ascentive Performance Center

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Soccerteaze

Soccerteaze

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

I'm brand new to BleepingC. I foolishly downloaded a "free trial" of software claiming to clean up a machine's operation by eliminating great amounts of useless file remnants and other junk. There is no free trial. I ran an uninstall, but there is still an Ascentive entry (marked "empty") in the programs and a monster popup called Ascentive Performance Center covers my desktop each reboot and at other times too. Can anyone help me get rid of it completely?

Also, there are many programs in task manager which are totally mysterious. I don't know if I dare to remove them, and when I try to match them in my applications list, they're not there!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:56 PM

Have you tried running a program like Spybot Search & Destroy or Adaware to clear the adware off your computer?
Using Ad-Aware SE to remove Spyware & Hijackers from Your Computer
Download Adaware Here

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware from Your Computer
Download Spybot Search & Destroy Here

What are the processes you don't recognize?

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

Welcome to BC soccerteaze :flowers:

I suggest you follow the directions in this guide. Then create an HJT log, you will find the directions in the guide.

Create a new topic in this forum, not here and give it a good descriptive title. Briefly summarize what the problems are, what you have done to try to solve it, and what worked and didn't work and paste in your HJT log.

After you post your log, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in five days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:43 AM

If you don't know what a process is or you come across a suspicious file, search the name using Google or the following links:
BC's File Database
BC's Startup Programs Database
File Research Center
ThreatExpert Malware Search
If no search results are found, you are given the option to "Submit a New Sample".

Note: Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). It is not unusual for multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time. How to determine what services are running under a Svchost.exe process.

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

You can download and use Process Explorer or System Explorer to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file. To get a list of processes shown by Process Explorer, go to file and choose Save as... to create a log named Procexp.txt in the same folder where Process Explorer resides.

The Process Explorer window shows two panes by default: the upper pane is always a process list and the bottom pane either shows the list of DLLs loaded into the process selected in the upper pane, or the list of operating system resource handles (files, Registry keys, synchronization objects) the process has open. In the menu at the top select View > Lower Pane View to change between DLLs and Handles.

If you have XP Pro, you can use Tasklist to display a list of active processes.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
press Ok
At the command prompt type: tasklist /svc >c:\taskList.txt
press Enter
Then go to Start > Run and type: c:\taskList.txt
press Ok to view the list of processes.

The /SVC switch shows the list of active services in each process.
For help and syntax information, type the following command: tasklist /?
press ENTER or see: Syntax options

You can also use the WMI command-line utility to view and list processes.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
press Ok
At the command prompt type:
WMIC /OUTPUT:C:\ProcessList.txt PROCESS get Caption,Commandline,Processid
press Enter.

or you can type:
WMIC /OUTPUT:C:\ProcessList.txt path win32_process get Caption,Processid,Commandline
press Enter.

Then go to Start > Run and type: C:\ProcessList.txt
press Ok to view the details of all the processes.

Anytime you come across a suspicious file which you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Post back with the results of the file analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users